We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Croatia in March

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
50 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling to Croatia in March

Hello, I am planning a quick trip to Croatia en March. Is this a bad idea taking into consideration that the weather should not be exactly warm. And, in 10 days, would someone recommend what would be the most "effective way" to visit as many sites/cities as possible. Thanks in advance.

Durham
Level Contributor
4,399 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Croatia in March

It is too early for the beaches, but not a bad time if you want to tour the country and visit places that are crowded in the high season like Dubrovnik and Plitvice. Although you can get around by public transport car hire would be quicker and more flexible. It should also be cheap in March, but if you are going to drive in Bosnia and Montenegro as well check whether this is included in the price. A lot of accommodation will be closed, but the places that are open should be affordable. I would stay at hotels with heated pools, gyms in case you have bad luck with the weather.

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Croatia in March

What are your interests? If you've chosen Croatia based on some friends' recommendations, where did they go? With only 10 days it would be useless trying to see both the north (Istria) and the south (Dalmatia), so you'd need to pick one. The weather can be good and bad in any of those, though the rule of a thumb is that Dalmatia is a bit warmer. However, the sea will surely be too cold and with the cold sea, warm air can actaually cause bad weather. Impossible to predict. In my opinion, though, Istria offers the greatest diversity in all of Croatia and in very short distances. So it's probably the easiest place to accommodate your plans to any weather. It also has many great sites/cities (again, in short distances) and great nature. There's the Brijuni NP and Plitvice (lakes) NP is close enough.

Great views and nature are never closed for tourists. :)

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
6,344 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Croatia in March

Agree that to "...visit as many sites as possible..." in ten short days is too much rushing around. Why not choose one or two regions to really enjoy and soak up the atmosphere instead? Croatia is so diverse and each region has tons to offer. I realize some travel with the goal of fitting in as much as they can into a short time but they seem to miss out on so much.

I agree with Srdjan that it would be helpful to provide us with more information. Where do you fly to? What do you like/dislike? I also agree that Istria would probably have the most to offer in such a tiny area. You could spend months and months there without seeing everything! And if that is the route you choose, renting a car would be the easiest/most effective option. In March you just may find yourself the only one on the road!

4. Re: Traveling to Croatia in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2014, 05:16