We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three week itinerary - July

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Three week itinerary - July

I'm starting to plan a three week trip to Croatia. My very rough idea is fly (from Brussels) into pula and out of Dubrovnik, renting a car for at least part of the time. I'm struggling with how much time to budget for Istria vs the south/islands, is it worth trying to do a short 5 day or so cruise, how to fit in Pitvic lakes. Are Hvar/Korcula/Vis better seen on a cruise or doable ourselves. We are looking for a fairly relaxed trip (ie don't want to be moving cities every night) interested in wine as well as local food/olive oil, and of course plenty of beach time. Would roving be a good place to base yourself for Istria? For how long? And in the south split or Zadar? Thanks for any tips you can provide!

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Istria
Istria
Croatia
Hvar
Hvar
Hvar Island, Croatia
Korcula Island
Korcula Island
Zadar
Zadar
Zadar County, Croatia
Virginia
Level Contributor
3,837 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three week itinerary - July

It really depends on your interests, but to get you started, here is a sample itinerary you can adjust as you see fit:

fly into Pula, pick up rental car, stay in Rovinj ~4 days

drive to Plitvice, stay 1-2 days (depends on your enthusiasm for nature/hiking, but at least one night offers you the opportunity to hike in the morning and previous afternoon/evening) {alternatively, get up early, visit Plitvice and end your day in Zadar--search the drive times using google maps or viamichelin website}

Return car in Zadar or Split

Split/Trogir 1-2 days

So that's about a week down, and now you can slow down in the islands, which are certainly easy to visit independently. However, days trips with one base are not ideal, as distances are too great and ferry schedules do not usually accommodate this. I would not bother taking a rental car on the ferry, just rent one for a day while on an island to explore and save yourself the trouble.

Ferry to Vis or Hvar (check ferry schedules at http://www.jadrolinija.hr/ Note you will probably have to return to Split in between these islands, as there is not a direct ferry in between them in July to my knowledge). I suggest 4 days Hvar and 3 for Vis.

Another week down

Next, ferry to Korcula ~3 days

bus to Dubrovnik 3 days

I have left a few days out to allow for you to add places as your interests dictate.

good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Pula
Pula
Istria, Croatia
Rovinj
Rovinj
Istria, Croatia
Zadar
Zadar
Zadar County, Croatia
Split
Split
Split-Dalmatia County, Croatia
Trogir
Trogir
Split-Dalmatia County, Croatia
Hvar
Hvar
Hvar Island, Croatia
Korcula Island
Korcula Island
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three week itinerary - July

Thanks! That is really helpful in confirming I was on the right track in thinking how much time to schedule in various places and that we can certainly to without a car for parts of the trip!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,421 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three week itinerary - July

Unless the islands are top priority for the bulk of the holiday , and as you seem to be foodies, I would say allow more time in Istria than 4 days. Istria has lots of beaches too (and islands off the coast) so a week is easy to fill . We did a week and didn't see it all by any means.

Have a look at Istria forums where you will see lots of enthusiastic posters.

Edited: 17 December 2013, 13:30
Mentioned in this post
Istria
Istria
Croatia
Saskatchewan, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
8,907 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three week itinerary - July

Istria is SO worth far more than four days if you can manage it! I agree that Rovinj makes a lovely base but just know that it is very crowded in July. If you rent a car you can do all sorts of daytrips from Rovinj and see much of Istria. It is true that it is a foodies paradise! The inland hilltowns of Istria are spectacular and very much worth it.

Mentioned in this post
Istria
Istria
Croatia
Rovinj
Rovinj
Istria, Croatia
Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Three week itinerary - July

Sorry, completely disagree with LuvGoin. Istria is so much more than just Rovinj. It's by far the most diverse place in Croatia and offers everything in very short distances. From the plains in the west, to the mountains in the east. From the sea, islands and beaches to inland. From (always fresh) seafood to home grown olives, truffles, wine and a whole range of great food. From beautiful architecture and famous medieval hilltop towns to fun and sports.

If you tell us what you prefer, we can be of greater help. But I would recommend at least 7 days in Istria. From Rovinj and Pula, to Grožnjan and Motovun to Mt. Učka, Opatija, Volosko and Lovran. But chef can give you great advice, especially on inland Istria.

Anyway, you can see most of those places in my real-time MTB Street view movies. And if you like cycling yourself (or at least hiking), I can give more precise info. For now, start with Opatija, then browse my channel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXKdKyvQbQE.

Mentioned in this post
Volosko
Volosko
388 Reviews
Opatija, Croatia
Istria
Istria
Croatia
Rovinj
Rovinj
Istria, Croatia
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Pula
Pula
Istria, Croatia
Motovun
Motovun
Istria, Croatia
Opatija
Opatija
Primorje-Gorski Kotar County, Croatia
Lovran
Lovran
Istria, Croatia
Saskatchewan, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
8,907 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Three week itinerary - July

It definitely is true that there is much, much more to Istria than Rovinj (as gorgeous as it is). It has me under its spell and is a wondrous, diverse, beautiful and magical place. Please watch the following for just a taste:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar-rzqUYdf0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHufLgCFgEc

And this website is extremely helpful...

smrikve.com/istria/…

Srdjan's videos are excellent - I have watched them and really enjoy them.

So you see, you need longer in Istria! :)

Mentioned in this post
Istria
Istria
Croatia
Rovinj
Rovinj
Istria, Croatia
7. Re: Three week itinerary - July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2014, 05:16