We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to see Adriatic coast traveling solo

Wilsonville, Oregon
Level Contributor
1 post
82 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to see Adriatic coast traveling solo

I know others have asked similar questions, but I have a twist: I am a mature single lady and a good driver, but I am unsure whether to rent a car to drive from Dubrovnik up to Istria and then over to Zagreb in my three week visit this May to Croatia, or to try to take a combination of buses and ferries.

I don't relish driving roads with harrowing turns and drop-offs, as has been posted to this forum, spending my whole time with eyes glued to the road, but I also hear that transit is problematical. Advice, tips and links are greatly appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Istria
Istria
Croatia
Zagreb
Zagreb
Central Croatia, Croatia
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,985 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to see Adriatic coast traveling solo

Trains and buses are very frequent. From Dubrovnik, the only option is a bus (no trains) but they operate often throughout the day. It's about 5 hours travel. From there, you can stop at Split and get a train (the train station is right next to the main bus station, just a few minutes walk from Diocletian's Palace/riva), then train to towns in Istria, then to Zagreb. You've got three weeks, that's ample time to relax and enjoy the places you wish to see! It's less expensive, too, although obviously with a car you have the option to take certain routes. Whatever your inclined to do, you'll have a wonderful time in Croatia! My 6th trip there is in May also ;) Happy travels!

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Split
Split
Split-Dalmatia County, Croatia
Diocletian's Palace
Diocletian's Palace
6,638 Reviews
Split, Croatia
Istria
Istria
Croatia
Zagreb
Zagreb
Central Croatia, Croatia
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,985 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to see Adriatic coast traveling solo

While you are in Dubrovnik, why not take the catamaran over to Mljet? www.gv-line.hr/raspored.php?linija=3&lang=E. From Split, you could also visit island Hvar www.croatiaferries.com/split-hvar-ferry.htm. I've used http://www.adriatic-home.com/Croatia/ for accommodation. Very good prices and no fees, you just need to pay a deposit to secure a room, otherwise there should be plenty of "sobe" and konobas at this time, as it's not yet peak season.

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Mljet Island
Mljet Island
Zalakaros, Hungary
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to see Adriatic coast traveling solo

Honestly I have no clue what JoJo is talking about when in Split take train to towns in Istria , well nothing like that exists..Rather by train its a grueling long train ride to Zagreb, and another 5 hour ride back down to Rijeka, and still more hours on busses to Istria!! Instead if you do not want to rent, Dubrovnik to Split as JoJo wrote in first post, then Split up the coast by bus with Trogir, Sibenic and Zadar then in Zadar a fast catamaran exists to Pula in Istria!! Its a 5 hour catamaran ride, compared to 5 hours by bus to Rijeka and another couple of hours to Pula! Then from Istria all sorts of busses get you to Zagreb via Rijeka!!

Mentioned in this post
Split
Split
Istria
Istria
Croatia
Zagreb
Zagreb
Central Croatia, Croatia
Rijeka
Rijeka
Primorje-Gorski Kotar County, Croatia
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Trogir
Trogir
Zadar
Zadar
Zadar County, Croatia
Pula
Pula
Istria, Croatia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,985 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to see Adriatic coast traveling solo

Last I checked, Pula and Rijeka is in Istria?! So there are trains that go there. Train from Split to Karlovac, then bus to Rijeka, train from Rijeka to Pula.

Mentioned in this post
Pula
Pula
Istria, Croatia
Rijeka
Rijeka
Istria
Istria
Croatia
Split
Split
Karlovac
Karlovac
Karlovac County, Croatia
Zalakaros, Hungary
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to see Adriatic coast traveling solo

Its right now by saying train up to Karlovac then bus back down to Rijeka and further down to Istria. I just made the correction that you can not take train from Split to Istria...and I live in Opatija..so do know where Istria starts and Primorske Gorski Kotar stops!! So am not sure of your last question about Rijeka being in Istria,..well its not!!

Mentioned in this post
Karlovac
Karlovac
Karlovac County, Croatia
Rijeka
Rijeka
Istria
Istria
Croatia
Split
Split
Opatija
Opatija
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,985 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to see Adriatic coast traveling solo

So aggro with your "!!!" How old are you, 14? Your sentences are poorly constructed too, almost incomprehensible.

Rijeka
Level Contributor
1,731 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to see Adriatic coast traveling solo

Hiring the car is the second best way.(After hiring motorbike).If you are into maximum immersion bus really does not work.Roads are fine but drivers are wild.Sometimes.

After Croatistan indy pen dance Istrian railtracks were cut off from the rest of the national grid.There is "railway" bus connection Rijeka to Lupoglav but trains are barely practicable anywhere around/along the coast.

Although close to the geographic border Rijeka has nothing to do with Istria.Locals mentally see Istria anything West from Ucka ridge leaving whole Opatija Riviera/Liburnija out side.So it is divided officially and politically.(Although it is well inside peninsula geo boundaries.

Edited: 18 December 2013, 08:28
Mentioned in this post
Rijeka
Rijeka
Istria
Istria
Croatia
Opatija
Opatija
Zalakaros, Hungary
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to see Adriatic coast traveling solo

Thanks Kefa for putting us back on right track!! These forums are for giving good avice to potential visitors to Croatia, and not petty arguments as prefered by some !!! I only wish I was 14 again!!!

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Virginia
Level Contributor
3,899 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to see Adriatic coast traveling solo

I have visited the country three times and used only buses and ferries. I suggest you do the same so you can enjoy the view without worrying about keeping your eyes on the road or finding parking in old towns (and having to find accommodation with parking, etc.).

I only recommend renting a car when:

~you wish to visit the hill towns of Istria (in which case you can wait until you get there)

~you have mobility issues or refuse to pack light for public transport

~you wish to explore a large island (in which case you can do a day rental)

~you want to truly get off the beaten path in the interior

Mentioned in this post
Istria
Istria
Croatia
UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to see Adriatic coast traveling solo

Decide which transport you wish to use to get to Istria and then Hire a car. Without a car in Istria you would miss out on so much that makes Istria what it is. My recommendation is that you base yourself in Rovinj (because it's mid way on the Istrian Peninsular which makes it easy to see the other delights it has to offer e.g. Pula, Porec, Brijuni NP, the hill top villages of Groznjan, Motovun, etc., etc. Rovinj is a delightful place and not to be missed. In May the season hasn't yet begun and the roads will be fairly empty on the scenic routes or you can use the motorway to get to some places. Everywhere is well signposted. We find the motorway fairly empty even in June. It would be a great shame not to have a car in Istria as a number of places are without public transport.

Mentioned in this post
Istria
Istria
Croatia
Rovinj
Rovinj
Istria, Croatia
Pula
Pula
Istria, Croatia
Porec
Porec