We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zadar or Split

Sweden
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Zadar or Split

Travelling with our 9 year old for 2 weeks in July. Would prefer to stay in an apartment as hotels are very expensive. Would Split be more appropriate for us. We enjoy being by the beaches, sightseeing.,maybe Island hopping if not too expensive and sitting in nice restaurants people watching. It's our first time in Croatia. We're flying into Zadar airport but we thought we would hire a car to get around. We're on a tight budget and will do a lot of cooking ourselves in the apartment. Thank you.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
50,288 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zadar or Split

How about flying into Zadar and spending time there and in Nin...or to Split and out to an island such as Brac.

Sweden
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Zadar or Split

That sounds good but I dont really want to be unpacking and packing too often as it's a little unsettling for my 9 year old daughter. I thought after your suggestion perhaps 2 or 3 days in Zadar. What do you think of Zaton? We're still unsure whether to stay in Split or Makarska for the remainder of the holiday. Would Makarska be extremely busy in July as it's a small touristy place or would Split be just as busy. What would be your recommendation. Thank you.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
50,288 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zadar or Split

Everywhere will be busy in July....Split is a big city so its always busy and Makarska will be full of people also. Vis is an island that will be less busy but it takes a three hour ferry to get out there....

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zadar or Split

Makarska isn't that small and is good for families.

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zadar or Split

since you're planning Zadar into your trip, it is very comfortable to stay in one of smaller places just to the south of the town (e.g. Sukosan, Sv. Filip i Jakov, Biograd, with the latter being my favourite), where you can find nice beaches, cheaper accommodation in apartments near the beach, local bus will take you to Zadar and back for daily excursions... Particularly Biograd offers all that you mentioned, including a great open market with fresh local fruits and vegetables...

6. Re: Zadar or Split

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2014, 11:54
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Zadar
Level Contributor
1,577 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zadar or Split

Since you mentioned Zaton the holiday village there is meant to be good for families.

tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g303820-d647…

http://zaton.hr/

8. Re: Zadar or Split

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2015, 05:18