We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary advice - 8 days in Croatia

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
43 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary advice - 8 days in Croatia

Hello,

We (couple in our early 30s) are traveling to Croatia for 8 days at the end of May. There's so much to see and I know we can't do it all in 8 days, so I've come up with the below itinerary and would appreciate any suggestions or advice.

I wish we could fit in Hvar but I'm not sure that's possible given our limited time. Is Korcula worth spending 2 nights? We don't want to have to move every night or go at a breakneck pace - we want to be able to see some highlights but also have time to get lost a little. Thank you!

Day 1 - arrive Split mid afternoon, pick up rental car and stay in Trogir

Day 2 - Drive to Krka for the day, night in Trogir

Day 3 - Drive from Trogir to Korcula, night in Korcula

Day 4 - Day in Korcula, night in Korcula

Day 5 - Drive to Dubrovnik, drop off rental car, sightsee in Dubrovnik and spend the night

Day 6 - Day trip to Kotor Montenegro, night in Dubrovnik

Day 7 - Day sail to Elafiti Islands or just relaxing/seeing other sites in Dubrovnik, night in Dubrovnik

Day 8 - fly home from Dubrovnik early morning

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,436 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary advice - 8 days in Croatia

You'll have a fantastic time with that itinerary. But I have two suggestions and two comments

Suggestion 1. I know this is going to hard given how southerly your itinerary is, but if you could somehow shoehorn a day at Plitvice Lakes from your Split/Trogir base, you should try. (It would probably mean sacrificing Krka and Sibenik)

Suggestion 2. Day trip to Mostar from Dubrovnik? You have a full itinerary, so something (Kotor?) would have to give. Montenegro is hot hot hot right now, so I don't know if now's the time to go because it will get worse, or if now is the time to avoid and let it cool down.

Comment 1: If you are going to do Krka because it is more geographically workable than Plitvice, then make sure you at least pass through Sibenik, too.

Comment 2: Two nights in Korcula are perfectly acceptable, especially if it is a two nights/one day thing. You don't want to be continually unpacking and repacking and a third destination in eight days is not ridiculous.

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
324 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary advice - 8 days in Croatia

It's more or less acceptable. But I suggess no islands - the travel to them takes to much time (you should wait for the ferry and the ferry goes slow). But Korčula and Elafiti are near to the coast. But, road on peninsula Pelješac needs one hour of driving. Than you wait for the ferry and have just 20-30 minutes to the town of Korčula. Korčula (town) is very nice, you can see the photos. Than you have again one hour through peninsula of Pelješac which is also very nice but when you just drive, you don't enjoy it.

Everything depends of people. But Elafiti islands are nothing in compare to Dubrovnik and Kotor. If you want highlights, I suggest you Trogir (UNESCO), Split (300 000 people, UNESCO), NP Krka, Dubrovnik (UNESCO), Mostar (UNESCO), Kotor (UNESCO). But the borders of Croatia to Bosnia and Montenegro are EU borders, so it can be many cars there.

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary advice - 8 days in Croatia

Your plan is pretty good, and I wouldn't change a thing. When travelling between Korcula and Dubrovnik, don't forget to make a stop in Ston, for its oyster orchards (oyster brunch!), great wall and Europe's oldest operating saltworks. In addition, going from Korcula through Ston to Dubrovnik, will give you an exquisite opportunity to learn about history of urbanism from back in 13th century! There is a whole story about these three... Enjoy!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
43 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary advice - 8 days in Croatia

Thanks all! I would love to see Plitvice but I think it's just too far for this trip. We will have to do another trip with Plitvice, Zadar, and Istria as the focus.

For those who have done a day trip to Mostar and Kotor, which did you like better?

Does anyone know if we need to book in advance for the car ferry to get to Korcula? I'm hoping that late May won't be the mob scene with tourists that I've heard can happen in Croatia, but want to be prepared if we need to book in advance.

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
341 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary advice - 8 days in Croatia

You can't book for the car ferry from Orebic to Korcula, The ferry runs about every half hour. On the Jadrolinija web site you'll find the ferry timetable for this year, one is till 29.05.14 and then one for the high season period, 30.05 - 28.09.14

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary advice - 8 days in Croatia

Mostar is in Bosnia & Herzegovina, with elements of Islamic culture and architecture, and the Ottoman old bridge. Kotor is a town similar to Dubrovnik in its material being stone. So if choosing between the two, you might rather visit Mostar, to have a different something. If so, you'd go there from Split and before Korcula (inland from Ploce/Metkovic).

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary advice - 8 days in Croatia

As You are in the early 30s in my opinion it´s better to stay in Split, it´s the second biggest town in Croatia with small Roman center full of life and beaches everywhere.

8. Re: Itinerary advice - 8 days in Croatia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2015, 05:18