We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent car in Croatia, drop off in Slovenia - recommendation?

Atlanta, GA, USA
Level Contributor
351 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Rent car in Croatia, drop off in Slovenia - recommendation?

Hi! We are spending a few days in Croatia (start in Zagreb, to Plitvice, to Istria), then will head to Ljubljana to see friends. We need to drive to Slovenia due to timing--bus service is limited & we need to be there by a certain time. We want to rent in Zagreb and drop off in Ljubljana but I'm not finding a lot of options with a good price. I want to make sure I don't get a company that's reliable, that doesn't have a bad reputation. The companies being offered up are Sixt (the most economical by far), then Avis, Thrifty, etc. Should I steer clear of Sixt and stick with the major international brands? Any advice would be appreciated...thanks!

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
35,522 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent car in Croatia, drop off in Slovenia - recommendation?

We have used Sixt before and haven't had any problems with them.

Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent car in Croatia, drop off in Slovenia - recommendation?

First of all Sixt is a Major brand here in Europe so thats no concern! My only question you mention bus service being sporadic but train service is bang on and not much longer than driving!! I would look into that as you have 4 express trains a day doing the trip dowtown to downtown in just about 2 hours and 15 minutes! Believe me by car its not much quicker and then you save a days rental plus drop off fees, compared to a train ticket of about 20 Euros each!

Rovinj, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Rovinj, Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
861 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent car in Croatia, drop off in Slovenia - recommendation?

Along with what Peter has advised and since you will be in Istria, you could drop off the car in Rijeka and use the train from there to Ljubljana.

Atlanta, GA, USA
Level Contributor
351 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rent car in Croatia, drop off in Slovenia - recommendation?

Thanks! How long is the train from Rijeka to Ljubljana? Is there an official train website I could look on? I've searched around but can't tell what one is correct.

Rovinj, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Rovinj, Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
861 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rent car in Croatia, drop off in Slovenia - recommendation?

Look on www.bahn.co.uk for timetable.

I seem to remember hearing that they are the most expensive for advance tickets, hopefully someone else will confirm this.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rent car in Croatia, drop off in Slovenia - recommendation?

It won't be necessary to buy tickets in advance, just show up at the train station and buy them there, there are two trains daily to Ljubljana, according to the Slovenian Railways website, a one-way ticket costs €17.

7. Re: Rent car in Croatia, drop off in Slovenia - recommendation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2015, 04:51