We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Questions

Ireland
Level Contributor
35 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Questions

Hi there

Myself and my husband will arrive at Dubrovnik airport at midday Sun 25th May and depart from same at midday Mon 2nd June. We have hired a car for the full 9 days (it was cheap and suits us best for health reasons). So transport is sorted. I also have a hotel in mind for our time in Dubrovnik.

What I am trying to figure out is where to spend our time. We want a relaxing holiday, we'll both be in need of some down time, but we would like to spend a couple of days/nights on one of the islands (I think one island is going to be enough for us, we really dont want to be moving around too much). While in Dubrovnik we might do some day trips, using the car to head to Montenegro possibly for a day etc. So overall our thoughts are to first spend a few days on 1 island (Hvar was recommended as beautiful to us) then come back down to Dubrovnik to relax in a nice hotel and go on a day trip or two while there. To do the island first and then back to Dubrovnik i think is best as it minimises checking in and out of too many accommodations, rushing to airport from further away than Dubrovnik for our flight home etc.

Here are my questions;

1. Is it feasible to get from Dubrovnik airport to Hvar on the day of our arrival?

2. Is it best to get the ferry from Drvenik or from Split to Hvar?

3. How many full days/nights in Hvar is enough considering if it is feasible to there on the day of our arrival it'll would, I assume, be evening time when we get there?

4. If the weather turned out to be mediocre (we're aware at the end of May it might not be that hot, which suits us fine) would we be bored with too many days in Hvar?

5. Should we be looking at going to a different island instead of Hvar?

As I said above we want relaxing holiday, but a bit of driving doesn't bother us.

We're not big on museums or overly strenuous hiking. We love beautiful scenery & architecture, good food & wine and relaxing watching the world go by. A nice day at the beach is good but if the weather didnt permit it wouldn't be the end of the world for us.

All help is really appreciated.

Thanks

Naraigh

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
48,808 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Questions

I suppose if you wanted to get to Hvar on the day of arrival it could be done but that makes for a long day...if you do this then take the Drvenik ferry as it will be quicker.

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,112 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Questions

have you considered Korcula which is closer to Dubrovnik and seems to tick all your boxes instead of Hvar? You can also drive most of the way with a tiny ferry crossing at the end.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
48,808 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Questions

Yes I agree..Korcula might be a bit more relaxing and quite a bit closer!

Ireland
Level Contributor
35 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Questions

Thanks for that, appreciate the advice from everyone.

Edited: 08 April 2014, 14:52
Ireland
Level Contributor
35 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Questions

Hi again, quick question, where do you get the ferry to Korcula? We'd be going there (with car) on May 25th, I can only find ferries from Dubrovnik starting in June...? Thanks.

Sorry, just found the answer, to this question, thanks.

Edited: 09 April 2014, 19:51
Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
48,808 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Questions

So you found that there are no ferries in May?

Ireland
Level Contributor
35 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Questions

Thanks for that, appreciate the advice. No car ferry from Dubrovnik to Korcula in May but I forgot we'd be driving to Orebic and getting the ferry from there.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
48,808 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Questions

Good that you figured things out! Enjoy the drive and maybe stop for lunch at Ston.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary Questions

I am pretty much in the same situation as this, only we are coming from dublin in september. You have alot of the same questions as me, although i think we are choosing hvar over korcula as it seems to have a bit more of a nightlife, not that we will be going crazy either lol! I also think the car will probably be handiest option, enjoy your holiday!

Ireland
Level Contributor
35 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary Questions

Were gonna go ahead and do the trek to Hvar too on the day we arrive now, husband doesn't mind the driving or if it's a bit of a long day so were gonna go for it. We're flying from Dublin too and when we were booking our flights with Aer Lingus we booked the car hire too as part of the booking and it was much cheaper, €130 for golf (or similar) for the 8/9 days...if you didn't book flights yet it's worth looking at.