We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Plitvice (the night before) to Zabreb Airport

Pretoria, South...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Traveling from Plitvice (the night before) to Zabreb Airport

Please advise whether it would be possible to drive from Plitvice Lakes very early morning to Zagreb Airport for a 9:00 flight and also having to return a rental car at the airport ?

We would have to check -in at about 7:00 and it seems that most car rental agencies only open at 7:00 at the airport.

I am very nervous about missing the flight and wonder whether it would be better to spend our last night in or around Zagreb instead?

We'd appreciate any advice !

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
35,522 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from Plitvice (the night before) to Zabreb Airport

I would be nervous to do that but then again I am not very adventurous. I would want to spend the night in Zagreb and not have to worry about something going wrong.

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
6,168 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from Plitvice (the night before) to Zabreb Airport

Unlike Barry, I am very adventurous but still would find a place near the airport to stay the night before for peace of mind. While the airport is small and easily navigable, consider morning traffic. It simply is not worth the risk in my opinion. Zagreb has some lovely places to eat at so perhaps enjoy a relaxing and worry-free dinner/evening in the city.

Pretoria, South...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling from Plitvice (the night before) to Zabreb Airport

Thank you sO much for your advice !

I am convinced now and am going to re-shuffle our bookings a bit for a more carefree departure.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,046 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling from Plitvice (the night before) to Zabreb Airport

I certainly wouldn't risk it even if the departure were a couple of hours later. If there are hold-ups on the motorway you are stuck .

We had the opposite problem from you: late landing. We stayed at a hotel near Zagreb airport (Best Western Hotel Stella) because our flight-time was changed to a landing so late we couldn't pick up the car that night (and in any case wouldn't have wanted to get to Plitvice at midnight).

The airport is south of Zagreb so it's up to you whether you go in into the city the night before or just stay near the airport

Edited: 17 April 2014, 14:25
Pretoria, South...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling from Plitvice (the night before) to Zabreb Airport

Thank you very much for the info and advice !

We have promptly made a reservation at the same hotel and now intend returning the car the day before the flight. A bit of sight-seeing in Zagreb would also be nice and feeling a lot more comfortable.

Thanks again !

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
35,522 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling from Plitvice (the night before) to Zabreb Airport

Sounds like a great plan!

7. Re: Traveling from Plitvice (the night before) to Zabreb Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2015, 05:16