We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September holiday- need a final base!

Delgany, Ireland
Level Contributor
42 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
September holiday- need a final base!

Hi all,

Visiting Croatia for the first time but would like some ideas or hints :-)

My partner and I are flying in and out of Zadar. We arrive on the 2nd of Sept.

We are hiring a car and heading to Pula for first couple of nights for a festival.

Then the plan is to head south via National Park (would you recommend staying over a night near national park)?

There are so many beautiful places in Croatia that I can't decide on best suited place for last 5 nights.... I had thought some where on the Island of Vis but keep changing my mind and thinking maybe we should be closer to Zadar so that it's easier to get to airport.

We want a beach location (preferably not over crowded), a town that's not too hectic as we would have already been to Pula with the swarms but interesting, beautiful, local produce, etc etc. Did I just describe most of Croatia?? ;-)

HELP!!

Would love to hear your ideas.

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
241 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September holiday- need a final base!

Yes, you've just described the "most of Croatia", especially in early September which is my favourite summer vacation time. Beaches are not so crowded, and the sea is still warm enough for swimming.

I suppose that you are going to the Outlook Festival? Have you already booked your accommodation?

If not, and since you'd like a small, not hectic town, I would suggest you Fažana. It is not sooo far from the festival site and there is always organised transfer from Fažana. And it still has that genuine atmosphere of a fishermen village.

Since you'll rent a car, don't miss Pula and its ancient Roman Amphitheatre, the best preserved one in the whole world. Rovinj, as the most beautiful city in Istria (it would still be a bit crowded, but it is worth at least a half-day trip!). And maybe go to the Briuni islands, our national park (boats depart from Fažana).

For NP Pltivice you'll surely need to stay overnight. Maybe even for 2 nights, because you'll spend one whole day walking and exploring all those beautiful waterfalls and lakes.

And the rest... Komiža on the island of Vis would be my personal choice. Charming little town, but with enough bars, restaurants, shops...And the whole island has many beautiful beaches, you'll be able to find some peace and quiet one.

Only... It takes time to get to Vis, especially if you have to return to Zadar (arriving to Pula airport and departing from Split would be ideal).

It depends on how much energy you'll have after the festival ;-) Outlook festival-Plitvice-Vis would be just my kind of a vacation, but only if I have 14 days available...

Have fun!

Delgany, Ireland
Level Contributor
42 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: September holiday- need a final base!

Thanks a lot for your help!

Yeah, considering outlook festival but not definite.

I have another question if you have any ideas....

If I wasn't to go to Vis, where else would you recommend that might be easier to get to (another island or even mainland)- has to meet the food, climate, beach, etc, etc, criteria ;-)

Cheers!

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
40,066 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: September holiday- need a final base!

How about the island of Rab?

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
241 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: September holiday- need a final base!

I agree, Rab would be OK.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
11,529 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: September holiday- need a final base!

Biograd would be perfect for you. It is only 25 minutes from Zadar airport. It is a small town and has everything you could wish for, beautiful beach etc. From there, you can do day trips to Plitvice, Krka National Park, Paklenica National Park, Kornati Islands National park. Sibenik is about 1 hour away, Split and Trogir less than 2 hours.

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,562 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: September holiday- need a final base!

I would second Biograd for all the reasons mentioned, but if you insist on staying on an island it might be also Pag, which is near Zadar, and connected with land by a bridge.

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Zadar, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: September holiday- need a final base!

Pag is a great choice!

8. Re: September holiday- need a final base!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2015, 05:16