We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island recommendations

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Island recommendations

I have a rough plan in place for myself and boyfriend coming 12th september for 10 days. we fly in and out of dubrovnik. We are late 20s. We are planning on going straight to split from dubrovnik by bus, spending just the one night there close to port then out to Havr the following afternoon after a look around the palace grounds etc in Split. I was planning on spending 5 nights on Hvar, but now im thinking maybe we should spend 2 nights on another island and 3 nights on Hvar. Would Bol be a nice option? Or perhaps Korcula? We intend to finish off the holiday in Ploce dubrovnik for 3 nights before our flight home. Can anyone recommend what we are best doing?

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
40,133 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island recommendations

To me Bol is a great option but only for the beach....what are your interests...to me Hvar to Korcula and back to Dubrovnik will make most sense in terms of travel.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Island recommendations

That's what was appealing to me was the gorgeous beach there..we like relaxing sunbathing maybe some watersports..nice restaurants and some nightlife for evenings. I hear korcula is very like dubrovnik and if we are going to see the old town there maybe korcula wouldnt have much to offer us? Or should we stick with 5 nights hvar and do a day trip to bol if thats possible?

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
5,738 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island recommendations

If you like watersports then Bol is a great place

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
40,133 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Island recommendations

I think you could easily take a day trip there but I think it would be better to spend a couple nights in Bol...especially since you are looking for beach time and the nightlife is pretty good....Hvar isn't as well known for beaches so get your beach time at Zlatni Rat.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Island recommendations

ok so im now looking for a few hotel around Zlatni Rat beach. Would it be best to spend the 2 nights on Bol and then 3 on Hvar or vice versa and which island to go to first, considering we will be coming fropm Split and probably back to Split again for the bus back to dubrovnik?

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
40,133 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Island recommendations

Would be great if the ferry worked out from Hvar but not sure that would work out....if not I don't think it matters much which one is first since you would have to go back to Split to take the bus.....

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
56 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Island recommendations

literally same plans as my girlfriend and I, heading out 27th august for 10 days!!

great minds and all that......

Where are you staying on hvar and in ploce?

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Island recommendations

The way to do it without backtracking to Split:

Split-catamaran to Bol-catamaran to Jelsa--taxi to Hvar town (about 30 minutes). (The bus does not match up with the catamaran.)

I preferred the beaches on the Pakleni islands, as they were secluded. Zlatni rat is great for swimming, but it is more impressive when viewed from the mountain above. Hvar town is also nicer than Bol town. But it is nice to get a flavor of both.

Korcula may be a town similar in appearance to Dubrovnik, but I think the similarities end there. There are some great beaches on Korcula if you don't mind renting a car or scooter, and a hike to get to them.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Island recommendations

Hi There

Forgive me I havent posted for a while as we have been busy with moving house so holiday plans got sidelined!

So as I said we have 1 nigth split, 5 nights Hvar and then the final 3 nights dubrovnik. I have provisionally booked 2 night hotel close to Zlanti Rat beach in Bol now, but im just wondering are we going to be exhausting ourselves with travel. Do you think it best to stay in Havr for the 5 nights or is the 2 nights straight after split before hvar a sensible option?

I know it would make more sense to incorporate korcula for anight or 2 before dubrovnim and to travel that way by boat rather than back to split for thr bus journey (again) but i hear its very similar to dubrovnik and not nice beaches?

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
40,133 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Island recommendations

Actually I think there are some nice beaches on Korcula and though Korcula is sometimes called mini Dubrovnik there is really a whole different vibe in each place.