We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks in Eastern Europe, starting in Dubrovnik

Los Angeles...
8 posts
Save Topic
2 weeks in Eastern Europe, starting in Dubrovnik

Hello everybody,

We are starting a 2 week trip in Eastern Europe, starting in Dubrovnik. 2 other things we know for sure is that we will be going to Prague, in Czech Republic and end up going back to the USA 2 weeks later from Warsaw, Poland.

My questions are:

- What would be the best way to travel to those destinations: bus? train? car?

- Is it easy to get from Dubrovnik to Split, and if so, how is the passing of the frontier? Should we maybe consider going there by boat? (if that is even possible)

- What cities would you recommend to not miss for sure in Croatia on our way to Prague please?

Thank you.

(-:

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
41,017 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks in Eastern Europe, starting in Dubrovnik

How long are you thinking for just Croatia? I think the bus would be best between Dubrovnik and Split..."not sure about how to get to Prague though.

Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks in Eastern Europe, starting in Dubrovnik

Border in Neum (if that's the one you are refering to) is considered a transit border. However since Croatia joined EU, they do check papers more seriously. I don't see any problems there. Taking boat, means traveling theough Peljesac peninsula (slow, and bus connectivity questionable), and crossing with ferry from Trpanj to Ploce). This would slow you down a lot, and I don't recommend it unless you plan on traveling by car and you are actually interested in visiting Peljesac (it's really pretty). Buses along the coastal towns in Dalmatia are frequent. Consider visiting: Dubrovnik, Split, Trogir, Zadar, Krka Waterfalls, Plitvice & Zagreb. There are buses from Zagreb to Prague.

Los Angeles...
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks in Eastern Europe, starting in Dubrovnik

Thank you for your replies.

Barry, we do not have any set days of how many days to stay, as a matter a fact, that's a good question to ask here, how many days should you all recommend?

Frank, do you know if it makes a difference to cross the border if we are European Citizens (we are)? Also, the itinerary you offered, how many days would you recommend please?

Again, thank you.

(-:

Los Angeles...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks in Eastern Europe, starting in Dubrovnik

By the way Frank, you're website is great!

(-:

Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 weeks in Eastern Europe, starting in Dubrovnik

There is a EU citizens line at the border, but majority of people traveling there are EU citizens. I wouldn't worry about the border. It can be busy, and you can waste sometime there, but nothing major. I'd stay in Dubrovnik for 2 days, then go to Split for another 4 days. From Split you can visit Trogir (local bus), Krka Waterfalls (daily excursion), and even hop to the island of Brac, Hvar or Solta. Make a stop at Plitvice on your way to Zagreb (4-5 hours to visit a park). And spend one day in Zagreb. Now, if you like to visit the island of Korcula, Peljesac peninsula, do some adventure activities in Omis and Paklenica, or just relax by the beach, you should count on extra days.

Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 weeks in Eastern Europe, starting in Dubrovnik

Thanks! Glad you like it. Let us know ifcwe can help with anything else. Have fun in Croatia!

Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 weeks in Eastern Europe, starting in Dubrovnik

Just wanted to add that a visit to Split can be cut shorter too. It all depends how much you'd like to see.

Los Angeles...
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 weeks in Eastern Europe, starting in Dubrovnik

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Would you advise to go to Rijeka or not needed?

Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 weeks in Eastern Europe, starting in Dubrovnik

No problem. Happy to help. Rijeka IMO not worth a detour. Istria is awesome. But that can be visited on a separate trip :)

Los Angeles...
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 weeks in Eastern Europe, starting in Dubrovnik

Frank, as I keep organizing our trip, other questions come to mind. And as you have nicely offered to help out, I wanted to ask you about the Plitvice Lakes National Park, what is the best city to get there and back? Split or Zagreb please?