We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Croatia in a week

Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Croatia in a week

We have 7 days in Croatia arriving by air into Zagreb and flying out of Dubrovnik (or vice versa) 7 days later. Given the limited time, our planned itinerary is simply 2 nights Zagreb; 3 nights Split (via Plitvice); 2 nights Dubrovnik. Would like to see Hvar but not sure how to fit that in. Ideas?

We are open to moving every couple of nights to cover more ground. We plan on renting in a car as we feel it will be most time efficient. I was thinking however we could drop the car in Split and fly to Dubrovnik. Thoughts on how all this sounds? Realistic? Suggestions?

Thank you.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
35,644 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Croatia in a week

One night in Zagreb, two in Split,two on Hvar and two in Dubrovnik.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
141 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Croatia in a week

I recently did a driving tour in Croatia and Montenegro this month, and spend 10 days in Croatia and 4 days in Montenegro. My itinerary is roughly the same as yours but with my additional 3 days, I went to the Istria region. I am not sure what are your interests. Are you a beach person or a museum/church person? For me, I am into neither, just love seeing unique stuff, architecture, beautiful scenery and taking photos of them. So the itinerary I am about to suggest for you is catered to my interests. It is realistic and doable cos I have done it, just be prepare for a lot of driving especially between Split and Dubrovnik. I like to start my day early to beat the crowds. =) If you are like me, who love driving a lot, especially scenic routes between Split and Dubrovnik, then you should not drop your car in Split and fly to Dubrovnik.

1 night in Zagreb -> from there drive to Plitvice Lakes early next morning, spend about 8 hours there before driving to Zadar for the night (you can see the sun salutation and sea organ in the late evening) -> next morning drive to Split, along the way you can stop to visit Sibenik and Trogir, spend the night in Split -> Next morning take the earliest ferry to Hvar, spend 1 night there (I drove to the lavender fields in Brusje and Velo Grablje, as well as to the fortress and walked around Hvar Town in 1 day; if you are a beach person, then spend 2 nights) -> take the late morning ferry back to Split, spend the night there -> drive to Dubrovnik the next day, along the way you can stop for short photo stops at Omis, Brela beach and the Makarska Riviera before taking the noon ferry from Ploce to Tjpanj and then drive to Orebic to take the ferry to Korcula (I only went to Korcula Town, cos I am not into beaches except to take photos of it), spend a few hours there (Korcula Town is really a very small town; I slowly finished walking the main sights, took lots of photos plus shopping in less than 3 hours.), then take the ferry back to Orebic and from there drive to Ston for fresh oysters/mussels dinner before heading to Dubrovnik for your 2 nights stay.

Edited: 29 May 2014, 07:54
Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
35,644 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Croatia in a week

Way too much activity for me Chrisop.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
141 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Croatia in a week

Haha you could say that relative to your plan. You may not believe it but I did all that at a comfortable pace. =) Definitely not for the faint-hearted. I am very energetic, so could cover many grounds in a short period. I am not the type of traveller who is into R&R, like spending the whole day relaxing or sun-tanning on a beach, drinking coffee/people-watch in a café so my suggested itinerary is definitely a no-no for such travellers. I am not a museum/castle/beach person, so I don't actually spend too much time poring through each museum/castle/church. From all the time I saved, I could travel to more places. If they don't hold much interest for me, I move on. If I like certain places, I stay longer. Flexible in that sense. I usually start the day with a good breakfast, lunch is on the go (usually I can do without since I have such a filling breakfast), then I have a good dinner at the end of each day. Not sure what kind of interest the Dlphin3 has, so these are just some suggestions that the Dlphin3 can do along this route... she doesn't have to follow everything, but at least she knows what are the options.

The route from Plitvice to Split is pretty long that's why I suggest to stop by Zadar for the night instead of driving at one shot to Split. After spending 8 hours hiking, driving that long winding route to Split would really be exhausting. Anyway, that's what I feel. Or just spend the night in Plitvice. Not sure how much time Dlphin3 intends to spend at the park... if it is just 3-4 hours of hike then I think it is doable to drive to Split within the day.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Croatia in a week

Split and Dubrovnik are only 4 hours apart by road, so flying would take almost that long!

Without knowing what month this trip will occur, I cannot comment on whether you should include an island or not. You can, however visit Hvar as a day trip from Split.

I like Zagreb, but I would be eager to get toward the coast so would not spend more than a night there.

I find things faster without a car--yes you have to follow the schedule, but no need to look for parking, etc.

Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Croatia in a week

Super helpful!!!! We tend to lean toward the same style of travel as you do! I will make some changes based on our time table but this is great. Thanks!!!

Suggestions on a quality car rental location?

Also thinking the flight option from Split to Dubrovnik is the way to go with our limited time.

Suggestions of best/competitive airline to consider?

Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Croatia in a week

Super helpful!!!! We tend to lean toward the same style of travel as you do! I will make some changes based on our time table but this is great. Thanks!!!

Suggestions on a quality car rental location?

Also thinking the flight option from Split to Dubrovnik is the way to go with our limited time.

Suggestions of best/competitive airline to consider?

Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Croatia in a week

We will be there end of July.

I imagine islands are very busy this time of year. May not be realistic staying on the island???

Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Croatia in a week

Any 4 star hotel recommendations in Zagreb, Split, Hvar, Dubrovnik?

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,725 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Croatia in a week

I will just say - what do you really learn about Croatia or its people; nothing. To my mind it's just ticking boxes - been there, done that, move on. Not traveling to my mind.