We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

13 day itinerary Croatia/Slovenia help

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
13 day itinerary Croatia/Slovenia help

I am at the beginning stages of planning a 13 night trip to Croatia/Slovenia. An additional friend will be joining after the first 3 nights there I need to be in a city with an international airport on night 4. Here are my thoughts and would love suggestions.

- dubrovnik 3 nights with a side trip to Kotor or Mostar

- drive to split and friend will meet up stay 2 nights

- 1 night plitvice lakes

- 2 or 3 nights istria area

- 3 nights ljubljana with side trip

- 1 or 2 nights zagreb

It's quite expensive to pick up a car in Croatia and drop off in slovenia which is why we'd be flying out of zagreb.

Or my other thought is cut out Split and fly from dubrovnik to zagreb and make a similar loop through Istria and slovenia returning to zagreb.

It is a group of 3 in our mid 30s that like to be active yet not move from place to place every night.

1. Re: 13 day itinerary Croatia/Slovenia help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2014, 07:59
Singapore
Level Contributor
263 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 13 day itinerary Croatia/Slovenia help

Hi that itinerary sounds quite similar to our 14 nights trip in end may except that we did it in the reverse from Llubljana to Dubrovnik and went to Hvar and Zadar instead of Zagreb

- 3 nights ljubljana

(i) first day arrive at ljubljana and check out the city and castle

(ii) second day took a day trip to Skofja Loka, Lake Bled and Bohinj with Roundabout Tours (public tour)

(iii) third day took customized hiking/driving day trip with Slotrips to see Julian Alps, Soca Valley

(iv) fourth day took a private tour with Roundabout Tours to Predjama Castle, Skocjan Caves, Lipica Stud Farm and Piran with drop off at Rovinj

- 2 nights in Istria

(i) Fifth day, picked up our car in Rovinj, drove to Porec with a quick stop over at Limski for fresh shellfish, then to the Hill Towns of Groznjan and Motovun

(ii) Sixth day, left Rovinj and headed down to Pula with a quick stop over at Bale, thereafter drove to Labin and Opatija en-route to Plitvice Lakes

- 1 night in Plitvice Lakes

(i) Seventh day : Full day to explore both upper and lower lakes, then off to Zadar, drop off the car and enjoy beautiful sunset in Zadar

- 2 nights in Zadar

(i) Eight day: Full day cruise to Kornati Islands with Mikado

(ii) Ninth day: Take the morning bus to Split, deposit luggage and explore historic Split and Diocletian Palace in 3-4 hours before taking late afternoon catamaran to Hvar Town

- 2nights in Hvar Town

(i) Tenth day: Choice of

Option 1: Renting a boat (no license required) to cruise around the Pakleni Islands

Option 2: Taking a day trip to explore the rugged countryside of Hvar with Hvar Secret Tours

(ii) Eleventh day: Take catamaran from Hvar Town to Split and Bus to Dubrovnik or Catamaran from Hvar Town direct to Dubrovnik (if available), rest of day to orientate ourselves in Dubrovnik

- 4 nights in Dubrovnik

(i) Twelfth day: organized excursion to the Bay of Kotor

(ii) Thirteen day: organized excursion to Mostar with a stopover at Počitelj

(iii) Fourteen day: Explore Dubrovnik at leisure

(iv) Fifteen day: Fly back from Dubrovnik Airport

Los Altos Hills, CA
Level Contributor
790 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 13 day itinerary Croatia/Slovenia help

So, we just got back and did a similar trip only in the reverse direction.

I would highly recommend a company called "transfer.si" for driving you between Ljubljana to Rovinj. They charged us 39 euros per person to do this 3 hour trip door to door, which is incredible value.

This way, you can drop off your car in Pula and avoid Zagreb. Then you can tack on days to Split or Dubrovnik, and maybe visit one of the islands.

Note on Mostar, we visited and stayed over night, which I think it's a must if you're going to go through all that trouble and drive over. The place is absolutely mobbed with daytrippers during the day and actually not very pleasant, but once they leave around 3, it's magical.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 13 day itinerary Croatia/Slovenia help

Thank you for the great suggestions.

5. Re: 13 day itinerary Croatia/Slovenia help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2015, 05:16