We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is This a Reasonable Itinerary or Too Much?

Boston...
8 posts
Save Topic
Is This a Reasonable Itinerary or Too Much?

My husband and I are planning a 3 week plus trip in October to Italy, Croatia and Slovenia. We plan to spend the first week in Italy and then proceed to Croatia. The itinerary we've planned is heavier on cities than on coastal towns. We tend to prefer historical or cultural sites and museums more than outdoor recreation or beaches. But we wanted to see both aspects of Croatia.

At the same time, we don't want to spend so little time in a place that it's just a whirlwind where we see and experience very little. We're wondering if we're trying to do too much and spending too little time in each non-city location.

Our plan is as follows:

3 days/4 nights in Rome; 3 nights in Venice; 1 night in Trieste

Trieste to Rovinj. One day and night in Rovinj. Pick up car in Rovinj.

Drive to Plitvice National Park. One day and night at the park.

Drive to Zadar. One day and night in Zadar.

Drive to Mostar. One day and night in Mostar.

Drive to Split. One day and night in Split. Return car.

Train or bus to Zagreb. 3 days and nights in Zagreb.

Train to Ljubljana. 3 days and nights in Ljubljana, perhaps with a day trip to Bled.

Train to Munich from which we'll return home.

I'd welcome thoughts and suggestions about this plan.

Thanks.

Edited: 25 June 2014, 14:17
Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
35,522 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is This a Reasonable Itinerary or Too Much?

That would be too ambitious for me and lots of stops for only one night. But it could be doable... I would look at flying to Zagreb from Split though....and from Zagreb maybe look at going to Varazdin and Trakoscan.

Boston...
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is This a Reasonable Itinerary or Too Much?

Thanks.

I'm curious, though. If you think this is too much, is there a reason suggesting adding some additional places near Zagreb? Or, are you suggesting eliminating some of the earlier stops in favor of these cities?

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
35,522 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is This a Reasonable Itinerary or Too Much?

I think three nights in Zagreb is plenty and a day trip to Varazdin and Trakoscan from there would be a good thing I think...you will have lots of driving though, especially days like the Zadar to Mostar drive and then back the next day to Split....you are seeing some really nice places though and if you are set on seeing those places then go for it.

4. Re: Is This a Reasonable Itinerary or Too Much?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2015, 07:16