We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

15 full days in Croatia, is my itinerary too ambitious ?

Montreal, Quebec...
Level Contributor
63 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
15 full days in Croatia, is my itinerary too ambitious ?

Me and my girlfriend plan to visit Croatia this automn. We made a draft of an itinerary that I would like to hear some criticism about.

The hard facts is that we're arriving in Split in the afternoon on Sat, and leaving from Zagreb in the morning, Mon, 16 days later. We're not scared of driving, but we obviously want to have time to enjoy ourselves and what we are visiting.

Here's what we have so far :

DATE --- What we plan to see for most of the day --- Where we plan to sleep.

Sat --- Airplane & Split --- Split

Sun --- Split --- Split

Mon --- Brac --- Brac (*take a ferry for Brac in the morning)

Tue --- Brac --- Brac

Wed --- anything on the road from Split to Dubrovnic -- Dubrovnic (*take a ferry from Brac to Split in the morning, then rent a car from this point till the end of the trip).

Thu --- Dubrovnic -- Dubrovnic

Fri --- Kotor --- Dubrovnic

Sat -- Mostar --- Mostar

Sun -- Sibenik & Zadar --- Zadar

Mon -- Plitvice parks -- Plitvice

Tue -- Anything between Plitvice and Istria Region. --- Somewhere in Istria

Wed -- Istria Region --- Istria

Thu -- Istria Region --- Istria

Fri -- Anything between Istria Region and Zagreb --- Zagreb

Sat -- Zagreb & nearby --- Zagreb

Sun --- Zagreb & nearby --- Zabreb

Mon --- Airplane --- Home :(

What we most want to see is Dubrovnic, Kotor and Plitvice Parks.

I know we could slow down the pace by either crossing out Brac or the Istria region but both seems lovely and that would be a hard choice :(

Mostar and Zadar are not "absolutely must do" for us, but Mostar seemed logical since we were down in dubrovnic and needed to go back north, and doing the Split - Dubrovnic road twice seemed redundant.

Thanks for advices !

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 15 full days in Croatia, is my itinerary too ambitious ?

Your itinerary is ambitious, but it's doable. With changing places every or every second day you obviously won't have time to relax, but if that's what you plan - then go! Otherwise, you will have to leave something out for a next time, possibly Istria since it's the farthest from your route to Zagreb. It would be pity to just drive by Sibenik or Zadar or perhaps Trogir, all towns in Dalmatia between Split and Plitvice, just to have a longer list of places you visited. You will only have photos to enjoy, without actually having seen or felt anything. Croatia and particularly its coast are about a good relaxed feeling, and it takes a bit more time than just a day to get into the vibe :)

Also, I'd advise you to go to Hvar or Korcula rather than to Brac, unless you have a very particular reason why going to Brac, because you can take a ferry to those two and then continue by road without going back to Split. Also, if Dubrovnik is a must, one day is definitely too short. And if Dubrovnik is interesting to you, then I would definitely go to Korcula and on the way to Dubrovnik visit Ston, since both used to belong to Dubrovnik Republic and their history would be a good introduction to the Dubrovnik story.

Ergo, leave Istria out and stretch your stay in Dubrovnik, in Sibenik/Zadar region, or just leave a couple of days as extras - to stay longer where you please.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
44,479 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 15 full days in Croatia, is my itinerary too ambitious ?

It's very ambitious but I agree it's doable....I agree that Istria should be saved for next trip and then slow down a bit on the way to Zagreb.

3. Re: 15 full days in Croatia, is my itinerary too ambitious ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 08:15