We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Potential Itinerary (Slovenia, Croatia, Budapest)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Potential Itinerary (Slovenia, Croatia, Budapest)

I have around 2 weeks (flexible) with a friend to travel in mid September, and we would like to visit Slovenia, Croatia, and Budapest. Though we really want to visit Budapest, the main reason for ending our trip there is the cheap flights between Hungary and the US. We've sketched out the following itinerary and wanted feedback on whether or not it is too ambitious. We are looking for a decent pace of travel that's not too frenetic.

4 days - Ljubljana (with two day trips: Bled and somewhere else)

3 days - Istria - 3 days

3 days - Croatian islands (choosing between Rab, Cres, Losinj, Krk, or Pag)

2 days - Zagreb (is it possible to visit Pilvitce on the bus/train route from Istria to Zagreb?)

3 days - Budapest (via night train?)

We will not have our own car so will rely on buses and trains. What do you think of this itinerary?

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Potential Itinerary (Slovenia, Croatia, Budapest)

Krk, Cres, and Losinj are the easiest to visit after Istria. There is a bus from Losinj, through Cres and Rijeka, to Zagreb. That rules out the Plitvice stop though, so you may wish to switch the order of your Istria and islands stops, or just add time to Istria.

Search for bus routes to Plitvice at http://www.buscroatia.com/.

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,562 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Potential Itinerary (Slovenia, Croatia, Budapest)

Between the coast and Zagreb, you might change buses at Karlovac to visit Plitvice. The bus schedules can be found at www.akz.hr

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,521 posts
552 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Potential Itinerary (Slovenia, Croatia, Budapest)

Ljubljana and Istria are certainly doable. Either Piran in Slovenia OR Rovinj in Croatia.

We spent time on Korcula, so can't comment on the other islands. Have not been to Zagreb but Plitvice is delightful.

Budapest is wonderful...with far less tourists than Prague.

Travel safe and ENJOY!

Varazdin, Croatia
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Potential Itinerary (Slovenia, Croatia, Budapest)

You should visit Varazdin. Its on Zagreb-Budapest route.

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
77 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Potential Itinerary (Slovenia, Croatia, Budapest)

In Slovenia consider Postojna cave.

From the islands i would choose Cres and Losinj as they are easily accessible from Istra.

Since you said you are planing 2 days for Zagreb, there are regular buses from Zagreb to Plitvice and it is doable in one day (there and back). The bus drops you off in front of the entrance to the park so it is really convenient. One full day should be enough for Zagreb highlights and the second you could go to Plitvice.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,538 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Potential Itinerary (Slovenia, Croatia, Budapest)

Rovinj is a better base to explore Istria from than Piran is as Rovinj is more central on the west coast. My impression is that there would be more to do in Rovinj than in Piran too. To be able to see more of Istria, I'd say drop a day from Ljubjljana, there is so much to see in Istria, even 4 days is short and I think you can see the highlights of Ljubljana in a day, the same as you can Zagreb's

Re islands: we have driven along Pag, a lot of it is like a moonscape.

Varazdin is wonderful but not on the rail route to Budapest as far as I know ??

7. Re: Potential Itinerary (Slovenia, Croatia, Budapest)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 05:16