We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MV Monet

minneapolis
Level Contributor
519 posts
1 review
Save Topic
MV Monet

Planning a cruise on a small ship called MV Monet - leaves from Venice and goes down the Dalmatian coast - does anyone have any experience with this ship?

London, United...
Level Contributor
816 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: MV Monet

I've seen it about and it appears to be just the right size for getting into some of the smaller ports. It looked as though it was of a good standard and well maintained. I am not sure about value for money as I do not know the costs involved.

Los Angeles
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: MV Monet

HIGHLY recommend this trip. Absolutely wonderful ship. Attentive Croatian crew was personable while unobtrusive. Fabulous food. Dalmation ports of call charming--some would call for more than one day. Only concern--if weather is bad, take some motion-sickness medication for the cross-Adriatic leg(s) at beginning and/or end because it is, after all, a very small ship.

Pittsburgh Area
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: MV Monet

Just returned from a week on MV Monet, (Elegant Cruises and Tours, Inc. )July 18 to July 25, 2007, Venice to Croatia and return itinerary. Excellent ship. Food was superb, via Chef Robi. Staff are all english speaking Croatians. Cruise Director Monica and desk associate Andreana did great jobs. Ship has nice accommodations. Lower category rooms a bit small. We were in category A, room 203, more than adequate space wise. The bathrooms are small, but serviceable---a shower in the corner with a shower curtain to isolate the spray--it works. Public areas, dining room, lounge, etc. are nicely decorated. Being a small ship, the entertainment was limited---a piano player in the lounge after dinner. Two lectures, one on Venice and one on Croatian history done by port locals, were excellent. A group of Croatian folk singers also entertained one evening. Land tours were offered in each port, or you could do it yourself. The ship has a small jacuzzi on the foreward sun deck---a nice diversion we used after dark watching the stars. The staff are competent, and patient, and aim to please. We would highly recommend this ship.

limassol
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: MV Monet

Is anyone aware of a really good one day trip from Dubrovnik/ return on a little cruise as we have already booked accommodation at the Importanne Resort..... Also the best way to Montenegro for a day trip? thanks

Toronto
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: MV Monet

if you are driving i would not recommend montenegro because you ll be too far to see anything decent from dubrovnik. It would be better to take a cruise to the local islands or drive up north for 2 hours to tucepi or makarska.

Ask the staff at your hotel for details.

Saint Simons Island...
Level Contributor
203 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: MV Monet

I am accompanying my 86 year old parents on this trip in late April 2008. Please share anything you find that might help me.

Thanks!

Paula

minneapolis
Level Contributor
519 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: MV Monet

To Paula1947: My husband and I went on the National Geographic Dalmation coast cruise on the Monet in September, 2007. One of the above posters has described the ship and I agree with all that was said. We had a wonderful time - loved the ship and the crew. My husband and I are in our late 50's and early 60's but there were quite a few people in our group who were in their 80's and they all seemed to do well on the cruise. Because there is no gambling or shows on the ship it did not have a late night party atmosphere which we liked. Most people went to bed relatively early and were up early to see the ship come into the various ports.

The Monet is a small ship so can pull into shore at all the harbors (except for Hvar) and that made it much easier to get on and off the ship. The advantage of being docked at the harbor is that you can return to the ship at any time - you could walk your parents back to the ship if they got tired and you can go back out to explore on your own. The ship itself is very easy to get around on - it is very small but comfortable. The only disadvantage of the size is that if there is bad weather, it does sway a lot more than a bigger ship would. There was a storm on our last night between Pula and Venice. My husband and I do not get sea sick and actually enjoyed the huge waves but it was very difficult to move about the ship, even for us. I would think that it would be extremely difficult for an older couple. The two ladies in their 80's that we got to know on our cruise basically went to bed early that night and stayed there until we docked in Venice.

As for exploring the cities that we docked at - Ravenna, Split, Hvar, Dubrovnik, Korcula, and Pula -there is a lot of walking if you want to see all that there is to see but I think it would be possible to shorten some of those walks. If your parents have trouble climbing, you can avoid most stairs and hills and still enjoy the trip. Some of the older people on our cruise stayed on the ship at some ports and enjoyed the views of the towns from the ship - it is a stunningly beautiful shoreline.

If you have any other specific questions I would be happy to answer them.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: MV Monet

Question of hooverquincy. I'm 80+ and booked on the M/S Monet for June 4, Venice to Dubrovnik and back, so I founds your comments very helpful. If you want to take videos are you better off to explore the harbors on your own or go with a group. I assume sturdy shoes are advisable, how about a trecking pole?

Is there assigned seating at lunch, dinner? If assigned, is it by language spoken? In fact, were there any language speakers on board other than English? My sister from Germany may join me and she speaks only limited English.

Thanks for your help.

minneapolis
Level Contributor
519 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: MV Monet

To Treplow: We were on a National Geographic tour so all the people in our group were Americans except for our Croatian lecturer and his wife who both spoke fluent English. I don't know what the make-up of other groups would be. There was not assigned seating for any of the meals. Most people seemed to move around from group to group. Since it was a very small ship with only 55 passengers, we all got to know each other quickly and there was a very convivial atmosphere. We did get a list of passengers and their hometowns before we left and I wonder if you could get the nationality of your group members ahead of time if that would help your sister to make her decision about whether to join you or not.

You are right that you need sturdy shoes. A good hat and sunscreen were also absolute necessities when we were there in September. I don't personally know about a treking pole but there were some members of our group that used them. The streets are not as uneven as some we have been on but they are all stone and there are plenty of steps to climb if you choose to.

I think if I was interested in taking videos I would prefer to go on my own. The tours were interesting but they don't give you much time to linger in the places that appeal to you personally and there was a lot of time spent in museums and other buildings. We spent a full day in some of the towns and in those places the tours usually lasted about 2 to 2 1/2 hours and then we were on our own for the rest of the day so you might be able to do both on days like that. Another thought about videos is that some of the best scenery was as we were coming into port and leaving. The walls of Korcula and Dubrovnik were especially dramatic from the sea. Also, if you go to Pula, the best full view of the Roman amphitheater is from the ship. And finally, if you are able to climb the walls of Dubrovnik when you are in the city, those were some of the most spectacular views of the trip.

I hope I have helped you. If I can, I would be happy to answer any other questions that you might have.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: MV Monet

Thank you for your detailed reply. It is very helpful. Generaly, I'm inclined to avoid tours, some go into every little datail, which I almost immediately forget. Onte other hand, editing my videos and later putting them on DVD is such a pleasant way to relive the trip.

Actually, the cruise is sort of a "memory trip" for me. Back in the mid sixties, when we lived in Brussels, we drove from there to Athens, with a boat trip from Riejka to Dubrovnic and then on to Skopje and Athens. On that trip we were on a coastal steamer (I mean that literally, the steam engine was built during Imperial Austria), and were not able to go on land on any of the stops, except Split and Dubrovnic. This time I want to see it all, especially Korcula.