We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Zagreb

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,484 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in Zagreb

Is Zagreb particularly difficult to navigate? We'll only need to get from the airport to our hotel (probably the Regent Esplanade--that looks easy to get to from the airport--though the hotel President looks nice too). I've driven in Europe quite a bit, and I'm not a fearful driver, but if it's like, say, Rome, I do want to know. But if it's more like driving in a city in Germany and Austria, no problem.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
41,244 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Zagreb

I drove for the first time in Croatia this past summer and I did not enjoy driving in Zagreb. I think it is ok enough to navigate, but it helped me that I was following a relative, who knew where he was going. I didn't enjoy worrying about the one way streets and the trams all over the place. I am sure someone from Zagreb will say it is no problem, but I didn't enjoy it much.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,268 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Zagreb

I must admit the one way streets and sometimes difficult to spot street signs made driving in Zagreb a challenge for us, even with a driver and a navigator. We gave up on one place we intended to visit as we missed the turning and it was all too hard to try and work our way back. Roadworks made the GPS useless (it kept wanting to get us back onto the closed road) so a paper map would be a great help. Like the previous poster, we made it but didn't enjoy it much.

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
692 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Zagreb

Hi Christy, driving in Zagreb is easy if you will follow the signs showing the arrows/directions and the arrows marked on the lanes. It is similar like in Austria or Germany, and not like Rome. Also, there is no need to drive in the tram lane so you just avoid it and make it easy . Zagreb downtown is so simple, of course have a look at the map and you will easily pick up the directions - everything is organized on a one way streets basis, in rectangular blocks. Hope you will enjoy the city, especially because you are staying at the heart of the town in very beautiful surrounding of green parks. Cheers.

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in Zagreb

Getting from the airport to the Esplanade is really simple: the highway leading from the airport to the city will take you to Novi Zagreb (apartment blocks area). From there follow the signs showing “Centar”. Once you cross the river you must make one turn left (on this traffic lights you see the cathedral in front of you), one right and again right and you’re there in front of the hotel.

Rijeka
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in Zagreb

Compared to S Italy, Zagreb is very easy with (mostly) common sense traffic.

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Zadar, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving in Zagreb

How about getting a cab for that 20 min ride? It will not be expensive but it will be worry free...

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,484 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving in Zagreb

Thanks, everyone. I did consider a cab (especially since parking is fairly expensive at the hotel), but we'll be needing a car for the rest of the trip (we're off to Slovenia after Zagreb). I thought that would be a last resort, if driving were truly terrible. But the last couple posts are encouraging so I think we'll just get a car.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,268 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving in Zagreb

We used cabs and trams then got the car when we were ready to leave.

9. Re: Driving in Zagreb

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2012, 09:16