We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegemite!

Aussie in UK
Level Contributor
39 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Vegemite!

Does anyone know if I can find vegemite in Zagreb, or some Croatian equivalent of vegemite/marmite/promite?!

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegemite!

Had to Google to know what we talk about; yeast spread is a non-existent thing here.

It may be a long shot, but try DM stores (Drogeriemarkt) as they sell Alnatura products, and it appears Alnatura has its own yeast spread (Hefe Brotaufstrich).

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegemite!

You can also survive on Croatian food.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Zadar
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegemite!

That is so true Tvrtko but I know where bean ari is coming from. If you grew up in Australia eating vegimite, you would also crave it if you went overseas for a long period of time. Every now and then you need a fix of good old Aussie vegimite on toast. Yummo.

Edited: 11 March 2012, 04:20
Aussie in UK
Level Contributor
39 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegemite!

Tvrtko, give me a break! I do survive on Croatian food, obviously, Vegemite is just a little treat I had someone send me over. I like it, okay, and if there was anything like it here I wanted to know. sheesh!

Thanks, post 1- I will head off to a DM tomorrow :)

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegemite!

I know the feeling bean_ari. coming from the UK I'm miserable when I can't get my fix of Marmite. When I lived in Newfoundland I had to get it shipped in from Montreal at great cost. My American and Canadian friend thought it was disgusting. Hope you find your Vegemite

Aussie in UK
Level Contributor
39 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vegemite!

Haha DannyG, normally I would not submit myself to imperfect imitations of Vegemite, such as that British Marmite (I also lived in UK for 3 years)! But in this case I crave that yeasty black paste in any form! So I'm off to DM tomorrow.

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vegemite!

Unfortunately Bean we will have to agree to differ on this one - everyone to their own. Tried Vegemite once and once was enough! Nevertheless I do hope you find your Vegemite. When you're in DM tomorrow you may look to see if they have Marmite. I spend a lot of time in Croatia and since I have friends in Zagreb they could maybe bring it down to me in Istria.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vegemite!

Well, you just reminded me of the Bosnian guy in USA:

http://youtu.be/XwVuDUy_Y80

Aussie in UK
Level Contributor
39 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vegemite!

sorry, I cant watch youtube, i dont have the right internet! :P

Aussie in UK
Level Contributor
39 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vegemite!

I had no luck still :( never mind

But I am so glad because I managed to find sweet chilli sauce!

Get answers to your questions about Zagreb
Recent Conversations