We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Zagreb

Which Zagreb hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
glasgow
Level Contributor
104 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in Zagreb

Hi,

I was just wondering how easy it is to navigate round the city centre by car? We'll be driving down from Budapest and I still have nightmares about driving in Belgrade and Bucharest- is Zagreb an easy city to drive in?

Deb.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
38,223 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Zagreb

To tell you the truth I did not like driving in Zagreb much. For me only driving in Split was worse, but maybe if I was more comfortable driving with a manual transmission it would have been better. I was helped out by always being able to follow my relative in Zagreb. He led me around to where I needed to go. Without him it would have been a mess for me. Not to scare you, but thats just my experience.

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
690 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Zagreb

Hi Debbie, driving in Zagreb is easy if you follow the lane arrow signs - it is probably confusing, as well as tram rails. So you need to be aware of these signs and everything should be fine.For example, if you are in one way direction street with 3 lanes, the middle one would obviously lead you straight ahead while the other two might be for both - straight and right or straight and left. If you are in the lane that for example shows only turning right, you can not continue straight. Tram rails are marked in yellow color, in some streets, so you shouldn't drive in yellow. Otherwise the city center and streets around are organized in one way direction mostly so it shouldn't be a problem for you. Parking is allowed only in white marked spaces, yellow are forbidden. Hope it helps.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,673 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Zagreb

We really disliked driving in Zagreb. We didn't find the signs as helpful as the above poster does and the one way system made it awkward getting from point A to point B, as the most logical direct route was generally impossible. Street parking is almost non-existent, we missed out on visiting a particular shop my DH wanted to visit as we couldn't find any parking within cooee. I would park at the hotel and then rely on trams and taxis while in the city, then get the car for going out of town.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
216 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in Zagreb

Driving as such isn't bad in Zagreb, especially compared to Belgrade (the latter being bigger, more confusing and IMHO having much more reckless driving going on). As always in new places - GPS helps. The real draw-back here in Zagreb is parking. Even if you are lucky enough to find a space it is probably limited to one hour. But then - why drive? Leave the car at your hotel if possible or locate a garage and then you can do basically everything by foot, by tram or bus. Worst case take a cab, nowadays there are low-fare alternatives.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in Zagreb

I've been driving to Zagreb for a years. I found the most useful way to deal with Zagreb traffic.

Depend where you want to go. Central location (Main Square - Jelacic Platz), Cathedral, Dolac and all major stuff - I would drive on so-called "Ljubljanska" street, that is accessible from east from major highway and from south by the road from "Novi Zagreb" over the bridge and near HTV (Croatian television). Than I would park the car around City Head Office/ local bus station/Zagrebacka banka/ music hall "Lisinski", than I would walk beside McDonalds under the rial road underpass "Pothodnik" and I would find myself in front of Esplanade Hotel in just a couple of minutes.

That is the mosr usefull way to get as closer to the city centre without driving in ridiculous circles of one-way streets trying in the same time to find parking and avid other people who are doing the same, while pedestrians are trying to sneak between those who are late to work or just testing their new Ferrari in front of the city cafe-bars and their girlfriends, while workers class are breathing heavy in steamed trams.... So, pay for parking (it has guard during the workdays) walk around and when you get back, you will be out of city in no time regardless where you go.

Access from East side is either "Slavonska avenija" (Slavonia avenue) or Maksimirska (that goes north around Zoo and Dinamo stadion toward east.

There is south loop around city from Sesvete (East suburb) down south to (almost airport) and on the west side to Zapresic and further to Slovenian border. That loop is very useful if you need quick trip from south to east or west of the city. (Airport to East suburbs - just go on the loop and take right exit and you are there in 15-20 minutes, same thing for the west)

If you are tourist and you want to see downtown of Zagreb and Upper city, use that parking spot I mentioned and you will be happy. You will see the most you will be safe and you will get most of the city than if you just drive through.

Let me know if anyone has better way of dealing with traffic.

Edited: 12 May 2012, 02:26
Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving in Zagreb

Some typo errors I could not edit. I hope it's understanding what I was saying:

"rial road" was "rail road"

"mosr usefull" should be "the most usefull"

"avid other people" - "avoid other people"

I type fast and I never read it before I post it.

Sorry...

Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving in Zagreb

Hi there and as we deal with car rental in both Budapest and Zagreb if you feel comfortable in Budapest then Zagreb is no problem. The sheer size difference Budapest over Zagreb makes Budpest tougher for a foreigner in my mind. If you need more info or rental prices or drop off in Zagreb with pick up in Budapest no problem. Enjoy your stay!!

Edited: 14 May 2012, 02:32
glasgow
Level Contributor
104 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving in Zagreb

Thanks for all the replies, think taking a GPS with the rental is probably not a bad idea!

Deb.

Dallas, Texas
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving in Zagreb

My wife and I are looking for driver to transfer us from ferry in Split to Zagreb. I will provide my email address to anyone providing this service.

Thank you

Richard

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving in Zagreb

Why don't you just fly there? There is bunch of buses going in between, too....