We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK: Where to buy Romania Lei?

Cardiff, Wales, UK
Level Contributor
61 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
UK: Where to buy Romania Lei?

Hello,

I am visiting Romania next year and just thought I'd search around for a place to exchange my money, so I have some cash for taxi's etc when I arrive.

I have searched a few places but no one offers Romanian money apart from when selecting Romania, I'm given the option of Euro or Dollars (Lloyds TSB).

I have a 3 day stop over in Budapest before getting to Romania, so I could purchase them there (as the country is closer and more likely to have people travelling there) but I'm not sure if I'd get stung on the commissions and rates.

Cheers

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
83 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK: Where to buy Romania Lei?

if you find Romanian lei, or ROL (now we are talking of RON, Romanian new Lei, without 10000; for ex 1 RON=10000 Romanian old lei) in Budapest, fine. But if you don't , check the exchange offices in the train station in Bucharest (Gara de Nord) or at the Otopeni airport. The rate is not great but you can change around 20 euro to manage a taxi trip to the hotel. Better rates you will find downtown. Do not, I repet, do not buy money on the street, even the rate sounds great. Look for a exchange fee or commissions at the exchange office, most of this offices do not have such a fee. In Bucharest there are a lot of this kind of offices (legall, of course). Good luck.

Essex, UK.
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: UK: Where to buy Romania Lei?

Romanian regulations ban their currency from leaving the country, so it will be hard to find any. If you are arriving by air, there are two things to note. The first is that the exchange rate in the airport is poor, so do not change more than you have to; banks are much better. You can exchange sterling, no need to buy Euros or Dollars. The second thing is beware of rogue taxi drivers at the airport! It is a long drive to the city centre, if you use an unofficial cab, you will almost certainly be ripped off! Look for a bona fide taxi, and agree the fare before you accept.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,396 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UK: Where to buy Romania Lei?

There is an ATM in Bucharest airport which I used in August. the xchange rate was better than any of the currency offices had.

make sure you have aNationwide account for the best rate.

The exchange is very good so you don't need to do ahuge amount... we spent 200GBP in cash in 10 days (prepaid accom)

Cardiff, Wales, UK
Level Contributor
61 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UK: Where to buy Romania Lei?

Thanks people,

I am staying 3 days in Budapest and then 5 days in Transylvania. I hope to stay in Sovata, if the hotel will book an airport transfer. I'll book in January, so Christmas is out of the way. I dont like the idea of entering the country without some cash in my pocket, so as long as I can get some at Budapest or Targu-Mures airport then that's fine.

I wouldn't mind doing a days tour of Bran (Draculas Castle) purely to say I've been there and I can take a picture of me with the castle from the movies. But the rest of my stay will be spent relaxing and trying out the spa treatments, so spending money should be quite low.

Can anyone tell me if they have now fully converted to RON from ROL?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,396 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UK: Where to buy Romania Lei?

If you can't get RON or ROL..they were still using both in late August, take a few Euro.

Many people will accept Euro albeit at an awful exchange rate (notes not coins). They would not accept the GBP

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
83 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UK: Where to buy Romania Lei?

starting from January 1 2007 you will be able to find only RON, Romanian new lei (so it will be easy for you). The exchange rate is around 1 RON=3,5 RON.

Suceava
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: UK: Where to buy Romania Lei?

As of early December 2006, the exchange rates have dropped down a little. It always happen that because there is more demand from people to exchange Euros or Dollars before Christmas and New Year for shopping...

But generally it should be about 3,5 lei (new lei, or RON) for 1 EURO and 2.5 for 1 US$.

As said before have some Euro with you in notes or some Dollars and you'll have no trouble at all.

Have a great trip and enjoy Romania!

PS. By the way, it can be pure winter in January and just expect temperatures going down to some minus 20, minus 25 Celsius. Pack up some good warm clothes and good shoes.

Cardiff, Wales, UK
Level Contributor
61 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: UK: Where to buy Romania Lei?

Cheers people.

I remember reading somewhere that they were fully converting over to the New Lei. So thanks for the update mihail75.

I'll be there in March, just trying to book the hotel now (January), so wont be as cold. Speaking of which, can anyone give me some advice on contacting the hotel.

danubiushotels.com/en/hotels-sovata-romania/…

Price of stay approx (250 Euros)

Contact information gives the hotel and a Danubius group travel agent in Hungary.

HOTEL

book now - doesn't work as there are no dates (but website just gone down this afternoon, so they may be fixing this)

Telephone - busy

Fax - seems to work

Email - no reply

TRAVEL AGENT

telephone - no such number

fax - failed to send (probably no such number)

email - answered 2 months ago and said would forward my enquiry (no answer)

www.booking.com

Price of stay approx (360 Euros)

no option to arrange airport transfer

A new email has just been sent to the travel agent listed on the Danubius website, so now waiting for some sort of reply.

Anyone know of a cheaper website that I can book online? The other 2 hotels in Sovata from the Danubius group do not have online booking facility.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
83 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: UK: Where to buy Romania Lei?

See also this websites with links:

www.legaturi.ro/index.php…

ghidulturistic.ro/html/…sovata.htm

Look for Judetul Mures, Sovata.

Maybe it is better to call them because online booking doesnt work so well in Romania.

good luck

10. Re: UK: Where to buy Romania Lei?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 14:20