We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa and required travel insurance for Russia

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visa and required travel insurance for Russia

We will be staying in two different hotels in St.P. and Moscow over 4 days. Do we need to get visa support forms from both hotels and pay two fees? Also there is a new Russian law that states that anyone applying for a visa at the Russian consulate has to provide valid travel insurance. What is this? I have life and homeowner's insurance but unclear on what they want. Can someone please provide more information on both these questions.

Thank you.

Chattanooga, TN
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa and required travel insurance for Russia

Hello,

"Travel insurance" is an insurance policy specific to your travel plans. It's basically an international major-medical policy that is valid specifically for the dates/places of travel. Many of them have life insurance and travel interruption components as well. It's really cheap and I think it's a good idea anyway. My policies usually cost around $70.00. I use AIG TravelGuard (for example) but there are several companies offering these policies. You can also customize your coverage.

On the Visa application you will list the places you plan to visit (Moscow & St. P). I would get the Visa support (invitation) from both hotels. Others may advise differently but I prefer to have all of my bases covered. Typically the invitation will be like a confirmation and it will list the exact dates of stay at the particular hotel. Some hotels do not charge for the invitation.

Hope that helps.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa and required travel insurance for Russia

Thank you David, I appreciate your help.

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,092 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa and required travel insurance for Russia

Traveller's insurance the Russians want has to cover any medical expences and possible repatriation if something should happen while in Russia.

At least Diners and Visa Gold offer very affordable traveller's insurances for their card holders. Check from your credit card company.

70 USD sounds a lot for a traveller's insurance. IngoNord charges 10 EUR for 5 days' insurance. http://www.ingonord.fi/english/home/home.php

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa and required travel insurance for Russia

The IngoNord policy needs careful reading. At first glance it does not cover repatriation cover which may incur additional premium.

L.A. CA
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa and required travel insurance for Russia

DavidM: I see that you mention your Travel Insurance only cost you $70 with AIG. Could you tell me what that actually covers please? When we buy Insurance, it usually costs a percentage of final price of the tour - which can sometimes be between $300 - $400 per person. Does yours cover trip cancellation and medical expenses? Our Credit Card insurance only covers death and/or dismemberment.

Chattanooga, TN
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa and required travel insurance for Russia

oldebrit,

Here is a summary of what the insurance policy I purchase covers. I'm sure it's not the absolute best in the world but it covers what I'm concerned about. You can also upgrade and customize parts of it. It sounds to me like you're paying too much for yours as part of a "package." Travel insurance should almost always be inexpensive (in my opinion) because the overall level of claims filed is very low. Let me know if you want more info.

Standard Packages

ACCIDENT AND SICKNESS MEDICAL EXPENSES

$50000.00 Per Insured

ACCIDENTAL DEATH/DISMEMBERMENT

$50000.00 Per Insured

AIG TRAVEL ASSIST

-- Per Insured

BAGGAGE & TRAVEL DOCUMENTS

$2500.00 Per Insured

BAGGAGE DELAY

$500.00 Per Insured

CONCIERGE SERVICES

-- Per Insured

EMERGENCY MEDICAL TRANSPORTATION

$1000000.00 Per Insured

IDENTITY THEFT ASSISTANCE SERVICES

-- Per Insured

LIVETRAVEL ASSISTANCE

-- Per Insured

MISSED CONNECTIONS

$500.00 Per Insured

ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE

-- Per Insured

TRAVEL DELAY

$1000.00 Per Insured

$200.00 Payout Limit Per Day

TRIP CANCELLATION

100% Trip Cost Per Insured

TRIP INTERRUPTION

150% Trip Cost Per Insured

TRIP INTERRUPTION - RETURN AIR

$1000.00 Per Insured

Optional Packages

Flight Guard

FLIGHT ACCIDENT INSURANCE

$200000.00 Per Insured

Optional Umbrella Package

EMERGENCY EVACUATION

-- Per Insured

MEDICAL COVERAGE UPGRADE

$50000.00 Per Insured

MISSED CONNECTION UPGRADE

$250.00 Per Insured

L.A. CA
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa and required travel insurance for Russia

DavidM: I may be doing something wrong so could you please clarify. I went into "insuremytrip" website, completed the questionaire and clicked on AIG Travel Guard, then chose two of the cheapest quotes. For a 70 year old on a 15 day, $6K vacation, the quotes came back for the "Essential" for $394 and for the "My Travel Guard" for $447. How did you get $79? I know age and total cost of the vacation must play a big factor in the price descrepancy but I would like to know if I'm missing something please.

Chattanooga, TN
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa and required travel insurance for Russia

oldebrit,

You can go to www.travelguard.com and deal with the company direct. You can also get a 1-800 number and talk with them. Now, for the bad news. I tested a scenario using your approximate age and I received similar quotes. You aren't missing anything from what I can see. I am in my early 30's and I can get their best coverage for $71 for a similar-priced trip to Russia. Unfortunately, the great disparity in age does make a huge difference with the insurance company. It now sounds like your group rate may be the right way to go if the coverage is similar.

David

L.A. CA
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa and required travel insurance for Russia

Ahhhh thank you DavidM - at least it proves I'm not losing my marbles. I guessed it was something to do with age. Even though we are both healthy and active - we still have to pay waaaay more. It's a pity they don't just have cancellation and medical and not all those other things that are also covered by our Credit Card.

Thank you anyway.

Nice, France
Level Contributor
118 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa and required travel insurance for Russia

someone can tell me what about if I spend one night in a train from St.P. to Moscow. I am planing yo but the ticket in Russia directly, the embassy will request a proof of that olso to issue the visa?

thanks in advance

Andrés.