We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trans-siberian Railway.... starter ?'s... Thinking about gng

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Trans-siberian Railway.... starter ?'s... Thinking about gng

Hello TA,

1st, I realize these ?'s may already be up here, but i always like to go with the most recent advice, plus it's more fun...

I actually think i would be going the trans-mongolian route... it has been a dream of mine to go to Russia, but I would love to see Beijing and Mongolia as well, that being said...

Could I do it in 2 weeks? I'd like to have 2 days in Moscow, 1 day in Beijing, 1 day in Mongolia, everything else is flexible, I'd like the majority of it to be in Russia though and see Russian towns and cities. I'm a 29 y/o American, I do speak a very decent amount of Russian, but have not practiced in years with native speakers, I enjoy physical type adventures and realize this trip would be more mild in that categoy.

How is bar/night life on the train or at stops?

What would be a good 2 days in Moscow, should i try to squeeze in St. petersburg somehow? (maybe i should save this question for another post lol)

What should my budget be (this will be either in March or in July/October of next year)? I tend to go more toward the low range budget, but don't think i need to sleep 3rd class.

How is life on the trains? Boring fun? Friendly?

What are some of the best places to see along the way?

How is the view from the trains, will we see a lot travelling?

Ok, as always my first posts when going somewhere are jumbled etc, but the excitement always gets the best of me.

Thanks as always to anyone who replies.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trans-siberian Railway.... starter ?'s... Thinking about gng

Hi, I just came back from a trip Moscow to Beijing so will answer some of you Qs.

>>Could I do it in 2 weeks? I'd like to have 2 days in Moscow, 1 day in Beijing, 1 day in Mongolia, everything else is flexible, I'd like the majority of it to be in Russia though.

Yes, 2 weeks is enough to get you from Moscow-Beijing with not a lot of stops. It takes 6 days if you just stayed on the train.

>>How is bar/night life on the train or at stops?

On the train, not much. At the stops, depends on where you stop. A lot of hotels have bars with strip clubs if you enjoy that kind of thing.

>>What would be a good 2 days in Moscow, should i try to squeeze in St. petersburg somehow?.

That's really up to you if you want to see St. Petersburg. We chose not to on our trip because we figure we might go to St. Petersburg some other time but it's unlikely that we'll go through Siberia again so we wanted more time there.

>>What should my budget be (this will be either in March or in July/October of next year)? I tend to go more toward the low range budget, but don't think i need to sleep 3rd class.

Can't really help you here. It varies so much. 2nd class is good. Overall, it's not an expensive trip except for hotels in Russia and some restaurants. You can make it a budget trip if you care to.

>>How is life on the trains? Boring fun? Friendly?

I never got bored (not much anyway, more so on the one trip we took that was three nights long but even then, it wasn't bad.) Since you can speak Russian you'll find many more people to talk with. Generally, we found people to be friendly but we can't speak Russian so we didn't have many conversations.

>>What are some of the best places to see along the way?

Again, really depends on what you want. We weren't interested in nightlife, for example. My favorite stops were Suzdal (have to take a bus from Vladimir), Nizhny Novgorod, Ulan Ude and, of course, Lake Baikal and Mongolia (the Gobi, not so much Ulan Bator for me).

>>How is the view from the trains, will we see a lot travelling?

A lot of the views are the same. Trees. But you'll get occasional mountain views and views of Lake Baikal. On the train from Ulan Bator and Beijing, the windows were so dirty you couldn't see much at all.

Enjoy your planning and the trip! It's a great experience!

Siberia
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trans-siberian Railway.... starter ?'s... Thinking about gng

Again and again I repeat my views here. If you are planning a trip on the Trans-Siberian Railway, if you want to see the real Siberia, then you need to stay in Krasnoyarsk. This place is one of the most interesting in the Trans-Siberian Railway. Plan to stop in Krasnoyarsk, 2 or 3 days, and you will never regret it! Krasnoyarsk is much more interesting than the Novosibirsk and Tomsk, and no less interesting than Irkutsk.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trans-siberian Railway.... starter ?'s... Thinking about gng

no guess i'm lying im gonna do trans Mongolian, i have 2 friends in China I've known forever to visit, and seeing any part of Russia will be great for me. Thanks for the replies everyone.

4. Re: Trans-siberian Railway.... starter ?'s... Thinking about gng

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2011, 05:17