We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moscow and St Petersburg

emmalovesdolphins
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Moscow and St Petersburg

Hi Guys and Gals,

I am off to Moscow and St Petersburg for 2 weeks next summer and was wondering how safe the over night trains were? I have heard mixed stories.

Also any top advice for my trip in general would be much appreciated

St.Petersburg
Level Contributor
800 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Moscow and St Petersburg

Most overnights trains are safe except for the very cheap ones which make many stops on the way. Lock your compartment and sleep well :))

The forum is full of 'general advices' - just look up.

Seattle
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Moscow and St Petersburg

Rick Steves describes traveling on Russian trains and making sure that the door is closed in such a way that someone cannot get into the compartment from the aisleway. There was a story about Russian mafia "gassing" the compartments and coming in when the passenger was unconscious and stealing your possessions. I have no personal experience but you may want to check out RS.

Russia
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Moscow and St Petersburg

Overnight trains from Moscow to Saint Petersburg are safe.Eugenia from Kempinski is right - do not buy the cheapest tickets for the train that departs late at night and everything will be ok. Passengers of the trains departing between 22-00 and 23-50 are mostly business travelers or tourists like you.

Edited: 28 October 2010, 11:03
New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,993 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moscow and St Petersburg

Gassing passengers?? That's a good one. Believe me, the Russian mafia has bigger fish to fry. The subject of trains has come up many times, the search function above is very useful.

5. Re: Moscow and St Petersburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2011, 06:46