We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Query relating to Visas - Letters of Invitation

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
823 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Query relating to Visas - Letters of Invitation

I'm travelling to Russia in May on an Australian passport and I have a query about the letter's of invitation needed for the visa.

I'm staying in Moscow (5 nights), St Petersburg (5 nights) and Suzdal (1 night). I've have arranged the trip myself and not using a tour company, and I'd also prefer to arrange the visa myself.

Do I only need one letter of invitiation for the trip (the hotel in Moscow has already provided me one), or one each from the three hotels we are staying at?

The information online seems to vary, but this is a cut and paste of the guidance on the Russian Embassy site in Australia;

Russian Tourist Visa

The following documents should be submited to the Russian Embassy or Consulate to obtain a Tourist Visa to enter Russia:

1. Your original passport with at least 2 blank visa-designated pages (passport must be valid for at least 6 months after intended departure date from Russia).

2. Two copies of Russian visa application form, completed and signed.

3. Two passport-size photos signed on the back.

4. If Tour Group or Cruise Passenger: Letter from tour company or cruise line confirming itinerary and including a copy of the confirmation from authorized Russian travel company which shows the reference number and confirmation number for the visa.

5. If Individual Travel: Confirmation of hotel arrangements from authorized Russian travel company, or directly from the Russian hotel, showing reference number and confirmation number for the visa.

(note it doesn't actuallly mention a "letter of invitation" per se

- but I realise I DO need one)

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,784 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Query relating to Visas - Letters of Invitation

One letter of invitation is enough if it covers the whole length of your trip.

St.Petersburg...
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Query relating to Visas - Letters of Invitation

As far as I know - there should be a voucher from a tour operator in Russia (or booking confirmation of a hotel) + one standard confirmation (which is sometimes called a letter of invitation) - both covering all your stay in Russia. Reference numbers - do not exist anymore.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
823 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Query relating to Visas - Letters of Invitation

so, If I supply the booking confirmations from all 3 hotels and the letter of invitation from the Marriott Courtyard Moscow this should suffice?

St.Petersburg...
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Query relating to Visas - Letters of Invitation

It should - but the Mariiott should mention in its letter the entire period of your stay - including 2 other hotels.

5. Re: Query relating to Visas - Letters of Invitation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2012, 08:21