We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone experienced problems registering visa's on arrival?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
826 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone experienced problems registering visa's on arrival?

Another visa question....

I'd like to know if anyone has had problems on arrival into Russia registering their visa through a hotel beacuse they've not used them to provide their letter of invitation for their visa?

I'm wanting to use a visa service company to provide me with a letter of invitation for my whole trip, but my travel companion is uncomfortable with this because of the "fabrication" element and is worried we'll have problems when our fist hotel goes to register the visas, and then will be unwiling to help us.

Basically our situation is that we've already booked our accomodation ourselves online. 5 days Moscow, 5 days St Petersburg and we've left 2 days (one night) spare for a overnight Golden Ring tour we plan to book soon.

Our issue is not being able to have more than 2 letters of invitation. The hotels can only cover us for the time we are staying with them, as with the tour company, so we've got this one night unaccounted for.

My travel companion is considering spending more money on an additional night in moscow at our already booked hotel, just to cover us for that missing night - even though we probably won't use it as we'll be on a tour.

I've messaged a few people on here individually to try and dispel my companion's fears - but I'd like some more reassurance from other's on here that they've done what I'm wanting to do and there haven't been any problems.

THANKS!

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,541 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone experienced problems registering visa's on arrival?

The hotel you're staying at is legally bound to register you, regardless of how you got your visa.

www.fms.gov.ru/useful/novisas/index_eng.php

BTW, I have no idea why so many "travel professionals" keep calling the migration registration procedure "visa registration" although it has nothing to do with visas.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,541 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone experienced problems registering visa's on arrival?

Oops, wrong link but the procedure is the same:

www.fms.gov.ru/useful/migrate/index_eng.php

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
826 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone experienced problems registering visa's on arrival?

I think the Visa Registration vs Migration registration just might be a translation thing....at the end of the day no matter how you look at it - you hand over your passport and are "registered".

Edited: 14 February 2011, 04:57
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,541 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone experienced problems registering visa's on arrival?

> at the end of the day no matter how you look at it - you hand over your passport and are "registered"

The catch is that you have to do it even if you're legaly travelling in Russia with no visa.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
826 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone experienced problems registering visa's on arrival?

Even Russians?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,541 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone experienced problems registering visa's on arrival?

> Even Russians?

No, it says "foreign citizen" in the official text I gave you a link to.

Bunbury, Western...
Level Contributor
607 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone experienced problems registering visa's on arrival?

Hi, I know you have pm'd me before but your mum needs to stop worrying. Our Invitation was organized online through an agency. Our first hotel visit was in Vladivostok and they did our registration without any hitches whatsoever. We stayed in a variety of hotels and hostels and no-one was interested in how we got our invitations.

Jean

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
826 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone experienced problems registering visa's on arrival?

I know Jean, I know.....I'm hoping some more evidence will rest her fears.

Bunbury, Western...
Level Contributor
607 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone experienced problems registering visa's on arrival?

I'm bumping this one back up to the top.

If you are someone who has used an online service to obtain an invitation to Russia (rather than using the services of a booked hotel to get your invitation) could you please give us your experience on how your initial visa registration was handled at your first hotel stop.

Did you have any problems at other hotels getting registered when they didn't issue the invitation?

It all worked very well for my hubby and me but the lady initiating this thread needs input from others who have used an invitation service too. If it has worked well for everyone then her Mum (who is travelling with her) will rest a lot easier.

London, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone experienced problems registering visa's on arrival?

Hi

I've used an online Visa service on 3 occasions

On the 1st I did have an invitation letter from one hotel but stayed at a different one

The other two occasions I just left it all to the agency.

No problems on any occasion.

It seems (in my experience) once you've got the Visa the invitation part has served its purpose and it's not needed any more.

The online agency (I think I used the same one as you on the last two trips, Jean) provided contact details for offices in St Petersburg, Moscow and other locations if one had any problems while over there. I didn't have any so whether they're of any use, I can't say.

Hope that helps

Ez