We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
The Expenses in Russia

Hello people

May i know what is the average expenses in Russia? I will be going to russia in july and will visit St Peterburgh , Moscow, Perm, Irkutsk and Ulan Ude..the whole journey will be around 20 days. Just wonder how much budget i am looking at?

Is the public transports very convenience at these city and afforable?

thankss

Bunbury, Western...
Level Contributor
607 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Expenses in Russia

You expenses will very much depend on the your choice of hotel, choice of food and types of train carriages you use to travel across Russia.

My husband and I did a trip one year ago from Vladivostok (east coast) through to St Petersburg. Most times we used first class carriages on the best trains but we ate as cheaply as we could and we mostly stayed with Couch Surfing hosts, or used hostels or cheap hotels. The whole trip cost us around $11,000 USD but that excludes our air fares. We stayed in Russia for 30 days and loved every minute (well nearly) of it.

You can read about our travels here seeing you are doing a lot of the same journey, see railway-train-travel.com.au/railway-trip-tra…

Firstly you need to figure out what standard of train carriages you want to use. First class is quite expensive compared to the others but we wanted our bit of privacy. I can't tell you much about hotel prices as we didn't stay at many of them so others on the forum might help in that regard. Hostels are extremely hard to find in Russia. Home stay accommodation is worthwhile investigating. In general we thought that food was much cheaper (than here in Australia).

I hope that helps get the ball rolling.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Expenses in Russia

Hello jean!!!

Glad to see you here! I have asked about the tran-siberians moment ago on tripadvisor and someone has recommended me to read your blog! I have finished reading it sometimes ago and it gives me alot of ideas and helps a lot in my planning. but if i am not mistaken you didnt mentioned much about the cost and expenses there so i ask here.

I will take 3rd class all the way (only if 3rd class are not available on some trains then i will need to go for second class) cause i am on a very very tight budgets. I've read about your couch-surfing experiences too and i will do the same at those places that cant find a cheap hostels. One of that awful one has actually put me off a bit but i have no choice at some places and i hope i won't face the same. >.<

Thank you for you sharing and i hope i could do the same after i've done mine!!!

cheers.

Bunbury, Western...
Level Contributor
607 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Expenses in Russia

Be very careful about travelling third class. It really doesn't suit some people. You will find reports about it on this forum.

4. Re: The Expenses in Russia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2012, 06:35