We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dollars for tips?

Rochester Hills, MI
Level Contributor
8 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Dollars for tips?

Since the Y.E. has been made illegal, should I still consider bringing new dollar bills, or fives, for tips? Any suggestions as to how much? We'll be on a river cruise, so I would think we would only need them in St. Petersburg and/or Moscow.

Thanks in advance.

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dollars for tips?

what is the name of God, is a YE??

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
52 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dollars for tips?

условные еденицы = UE = YE

The prices in the stores are in rubles only

The official stores do not take hard currency (dollars included)

Everyone else - does.

Feel free to tip at the same rate as in the States.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,770 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dollars for tips?

Just curious, who are you going to tip with dollar bills and why do you consider that more convenient than tipping in the same currency you are paying for the actual service (rubles)?

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dollars for tips?

UE's never actually existed in the physical realm to begin with, so not sure how this relates to tipping.

Tipping on cruise ships is a sore subject, so better find out from the co. what their policy is.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2,188 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dollars for tips?

For some strange reason our tour company tells us to tip in U.S. dollars (river cruise plus tours). Actually went through the same thing with them for China! I know, it's strange.....something I don't quite understand.....

St.Petersburg
Level Contributor
800 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Dollars for tips?

I think it is reminiscent of the old days. Within the small amount it is always better to tip in the national currency - Rubles. For example one can get a cup of coffee for 150 Rubles but there is simply nothing to do with 5 Dollar bill.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,591 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dollars for tips?

We tipped the river cruise people in dollars because they said to.

In the cities we tipped in rubles because I think it would be insulting to ask them to accept American dollars.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,770 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dollars for tips?

> In the cities we tipped in rubles because I think it would be insulting to ask them to accept American dollars.

I'm just curious who are you tipping all the time? In my everyday life I only leave tips to waiters and filling stations attendants. Can't remember tipping anybody else in Russia in my lifetime.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2,188 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dollars for tips?

We tip at restaurants, hotels and I'm going on a cruise, so we have to tip the staff on the boat and our tour guides and tour bus drivers.

Interestingly enough though, last night I received my final documents for my upcoming trip and it actually said to tip in "local currency"! That is NOT what they said in the original brochure we received from them, so something has changed..............I guess they received complaints .... So now, we have to make sure that we get to ATM machines to get enough rubles to pay all these tips!

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dollars for tips?

The cruise ships are different because oftentimes they pay their staff next to nothing, and then they pressure you to "tip" them. Which is not really a tip