We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Petersburg Tour

Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Topic
St. Petersburg Tour

We just returned from our Baltic Cruise on the Emerald Princess. The cruise was terrific but I was especially pleased with the custom tour we arranged with Russian Tour Guide. We had 2 action packed days with some very specific requirements . Steve Fowler is based in the US with his partners in St. Petersburg ( and Moscow) and he helped me work out a very custom tour that was terrific and cost a fraction of the cost of a cruise ship excursion.

Their web site is www.russiantourguide.com

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Petersburg Tour

We just returned from a 3 day visit to St Petersburg and we quite disappointed in many aspects of our tour, but the greatest disappointment was that Steve Fowler promised, in writing, visits and information and did not follow through. He blamed the guide when in truth I blame his travel company and the one he partners with in St. Petersburg.

Greenville
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Petersburg Tour

In this forum we have been criticized by brab2309.

RussianTourGuide.com has been serving our tourists in Russia, for almost 10 years. That, in and of itself, means nothing. That we have become an agency chosen, not just by private parties, but by travel agents as well means a lot.

In our history we have refunded 100%, often at great expense to us, for tours which could not be accomplished due to volcano eruptions, sickness or family emergencies. We have frequently refunded sums for admissions to venues which were not visited. We have, in hundreds of tours, never been asked for a refund for poor service. In fact, a large percentage of our clients are referrals from previous clients.

When someone confronts us with an ultimatum which states they will not make negative posts on TripAdvisor.com if we pay them $500, we consider that extortion. We were offered the opportunity to avoid her post if we paid the bribe but we do not operate that way.

There are people in this world who stay at a hotel and steal the towels because they feel the hotel can afford it, not because they think they in any way deserve it. It is a shame and should never happen in an honest world.

Contrary to the post, I do not criticize or blame my colleagues for things which did not happen. Our guides are licensed in the venues in which they guide. If they are not, they don’t guide there. We have the highest regard for our guide colleagues. It should also be noted that we pay some of the highest rates in Russia to our colleagues because we require guides who, gladly, give their best.

Our president is an airline pilot for a major U. S. airline. None of us on the U.S. side of RussianTourGuide.com work here because we have to. We work here because we love Russia, our fantastic colleagues and partners in Russia. We feel our extensive travel experience, knowledge of Russia and constant visits and updates enable us to serve our clients as well or better than persons in Russia. By being native English speakers, located in the North American time zones etc, we offer convenience that some others may not.

We feel the comment that dealing with a company in the U.S. A., which has partners in Russia, being inferior to dealing directly with a Russian company is another biased comment from a staged personality on this forum pretending to be a tourist with no commercial agenda. Regrettably, it is a common practice for companies in St. Petersburg to pay for posts on this forum in the guise of impartial comments.

The long list of satisfied clients, who actually take time to write to us , is the advertising we love. We actually want our clients to be more than satisfied and work hard to offer great service at a low price.

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Petersburg Tour

I couldn't DISAGREE with brab2309 comments more. I used RussianTourGuide on a recent NCL cruise to the Baltic Capitals and could not have been more pleased.

EVERYTHING Steve Fowler promised was delivered. We had a small group of 12. Eight from our ship and two from a RCCL ship also in port at the same time. Olga, our guide for the two-days, could not have been more perfect. Since she teaches both Russian and English at a local elementary school, her command of the language could not have been better; not to mention the wealth of knowledge she shared. I felt like I was back in Russian history class from college.

We had ample time in each venue and made a few extra stops to accommodate requests from people on the tour. We even booked an evening activity.

I'm planning on using Steve's services for a future trip to Italy.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Petersburg Tour

Simon, although your comments may be genuine, and I absolutely have no reason to believe they are not, I am sure you can understand that tripadvisor regulars take with a grain of salt contributions from those who join tripadvisor simply to praise one particular tour company in three posts made today.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,396 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Petersburg Tour

Cinti is SO correct about posting on this topic. We have commented so many times about minimal posts recommending guides in St. Petersburg. Sorry for your experience. Maybe others will read and learn from your experience.

6. Re: St. Petersburg Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 19:18