We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itineraries help (Moscow, St.Petersburg)

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
150 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Itineraries help (Moscow, St.Petersburg)

Will be flying to Russia in three days and would like some urgent help for the itinerary, i know i should do more homework but would really appreciate some help :(

Is it possible to finish the red square and kremlin part in 1 / 1.5 days or im tryin to do too much?

Red Square Part - (Red Square, Lenin Mausoleum, St Basil Cathedral, Zhukov’ statue, GUM (Adjacent to Red Square)

The Kremlin part - (Kremlin, Tsar Bell and Tsar Cannon, Cathedral of the Assumption, Kremlin Armoury, Church of the Twelve Apostles, Alexandrovsky Garden/ Tomb of the unknown soldier

And how should i arrange the destinations below in 2 days?

Christ the Savior Cathedral

Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts

Tretyakov Gallery – Russian Art

Bolshoi Circus – cheapest seat, start at 8pm, 21/1

Give up if have no time-

State Historical Museum, Ostankino TV tower, Old/New Arbat St. (Souvenir)

For St. Petersburg, I really get no idea about the location of the destinations. Please help to put these places in 4 days.

The Hermitage Museum/ Winter Palace, Peter and Paul Fortress, The Admiralty, Church of the Saviour on Spilled Blood, Souvenir market, Our-Lady-of-Kazan Cathedral, Saint Isaac's Cathedral, Catherine palace, Peterhof, Mariinsky Theater (ballet), Trinity Cathedral

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,950 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itineraries help (Moscow, St.Petersburg)

> Is it possible to finish the red square and kremlin part in 1 / 1.5 days?

Easily - I cannot imagine what to do there for more than half a day, 1 day max. And cross out the Zhukov statue: if you only want to see one statue in Moscow, please do yourself a favor and pick any other.

Christ the Saviour and Pushkin Museum are right aross the street from each other, it makes sense to visit them in one go. Pushkin museum is currently hosting a Caravaggio exhibition and there might be a huge line in the cold to enter - decide for yourself whether you want to waste time in this line. The line is likely to be smaller on weekday mornings (except Monday), don't even think of coming on weekend.

There are two Tretyakov galleries - for old Russian art and Soviet period art. Which one do you want to visit?

What's "Bolshoi Circus"?

It probably makes sense to post your itineraries separately in Moscow and St.Pete forums.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,950 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itineraries help (Moscow, St.Petersburg)

PS I figured out what "Bolshoi Circus" is - a clever rebranding indeed :) I wonder if Bolshoi Theater could sue them over that - probably not.

St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itineraries help (Moscow, St.Petersburg)

I can give you some suggestions only concerning St. Petersburg.

If the weather permits on the first morning I would suggest to walk around the very center of the city (Nevsky prospect, Palace square and so), when you feel cold you can go inside St. Isaac’s Cathedral or Spilled Blood. The famous souvenir market is just behind Spilled Blood. In the afternoon you can visit the Hermitage museum – no lines now. The Hermitage is so big, that one visit may be not enough for it. It depends on your interest in art.

Pushkin is a separate town which is 24 km away of the city. So you will have to use metro and shuttle to get there. It will take around 1.5 hours. The main thing to see is Catherin’s palace. Next to it there is another interesting palace - Alexander’s palace (the place where the last Romanovs lived). You can see both places in one visit. On the same day you can see Pavlovsk palace (10 min driving, there are shuttles).

Peterhof is another town, it’s in a different direction. It’s very famous thanks the fountains which don’t work now. So I’m not sure it’s so obligate to see it without fountains. There is a palace in the residence, it will work. If you have time and if the weather is nice it would worth to visit…

Concerning Mariinsky. I love it! Check the website of the theater chose the performance and buy tickets through internet.

Don’t forget to check days off for all the museums. Each museum has it’s own day off.

St.Petersburg
Level Contributor
800 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Itineraries help (Moscow, St.Petersburg)

4 days itinerary:

Day 1

Buy good map of the city center.

Walk along the main street Nevsky prospect and visit

- Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood and Souvenir market right behind it,

- Our-Lady-of-Kazan Cathedral and The Book House (main book store) across the street from it. Have lunch in the Zinger café on the second floor of the Book House

- Saint Isaac's Cathedral – it is located on St.Isaak’s square which is 5 min walk from the main street.

On the way you will see the Admiralty Building

This day should not be Wednesday otherwise the churches will be closed

Day 2

Visit the Hermitage museum (opens at 10.30). Pay 300-400 Rubles extra and get tickets to the public English tour of the Gold or Diamond Treasury

Take a metro to Gorkovskaya station (blue line, one stop from Nevsky prospect) and visit Peter and Paul Fortress.

This day should not be Monday – the Hermitage is off.

Day 3

Take a metro to Moskovskaya station (blue line), then bus or minibus to Tsarskoje Selo.

Visit Catherine’s palace with Amber Room.

Trinity Cathedral is really far from everything but if you still want to visit it, then on the way back from the palace get out of metro on the station Technological Institute and walk towards the church.

This day shouldn’t be Tuesday

Day 4

Right now there is no good reason to visit Peterhof because the fountains are off. If you still want to go there take a metro to the Avtovo station, cross the street and take the bus to Peterhof.

Other options – visit the State Russian museum or Yusupov palace or walk more in the city or do some shopping. Go to visit the farmer’s market on Vladimirskaya square.

Ballet. Please look at www.mariinsky.ru for the playbill and tickets

Have a pleasant journey!

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
150 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itineraries help (Moscow, St.Petersburg)

Sorry for getting back late all.

Thanks for your kind consideration and reply. Will draft my iterniary based on the answer!

Regarding the ballet, have booked Swan Lake already on 25/1, cant wait! Seems can't book circus ticket online though :( Have a good day all

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
150 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itineraries help (Moscow, St.Petersburg)

BTW, is there any day tour of Vladimir and Suzdal that starts and ends at Vladimir? Will be in Vladimir pass at 8:30am and have a full day till train to St.P departs at 10:20pm. And wanna be lazy and take a break from joinin tour :D

7. Re: Itineraries help (Moscow, St.Petersburg)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2013, 10:21