We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attire for our trip to Russia

Jasper, Arkansas...
Level Contributor
19 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Attire for our trip to Russia

We will be spending 15 days in Russia this summer: Volgograd, Moscow and St. Petersburg. What should my wife and I wear? Or maybe I should ask what should we NOT wear? What kind of hats do men wear in the the summer?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,220 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Attire for our trip to Russia

Thank God, there is no special dress code for Russia. Wear whatever you are used to wear at home in summer. It will be either warm or hot or maybe a bit cool, but definitely not cold, with a chance of rain.

Edited: 16 June 2012, 07:11
Jasper, Arkansas...
Level Contributor
19 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Attire for our trip to Russia

Well, I have read all this stuff on the internet that says things like "no shorts, no sneakers, no ball caps, no sandals for women, dark clothes for the men, no t-shirts, etc. So are those old postings or what?

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Attire for our trip to Russia

Are you talking about just general every day situations or more specific situations such going to the ballet or eating out at a restaurant?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,220 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Attire for our trip to Russia

Where on earth have you read that? Are you sure those postings were about Russia, not Iran?

Jasper, Arkansas...
Level Contributor
19 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Attire for our trip to Russia

As a follow-up, I don't mind being ID'd as a tourist, because we are; however I don't want to look completely ridiculous and embarrass the family that is hosting us! Hence, the reason for the original questions. Plus we will be walking a LOT! As a guy, what kind of hat/cap would be the best for me?

Jasper, Arkansas...
Level Contributor
19 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Attire for our trip to Russia

All over the internet....all kinds of travel sites, some of them American, some Russian. I have been poring over this stuff the last couple of days, although i did read one that said in the bigger cities,, this is changing a lot, esp. with the younger generation, (which I am not!)

Jasper, Arkansas...
Level Contributor
19 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Attire for our trip to Russia

Mostly just general situation, as when we are out touring....We have a private driver and guide, hotel reservations, etc. already, plus our friends from Volgograd will be with us. I think I have a handle on the ballet, eating out, etc., but as with this posting, there is conflicting info on just being "out and about" visiting museums, historic site, etc.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,220 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Attire for our trip to Russia

You will be immediately identified as an American tourist whatever you wear, no need to worry about that. Please wear your favourite ball cap unless it has something offensive written on it in Russian. Every second Russian is wearing a ball cap, I have no idea who could have written that it's not good attire for Russia.

The only caveat is that if you decide to visit a not very touristy church then a certain dress code IS expected: no shorts, no women wearing pants, women must have their heads covered (often headscarves are available), men on the contrary are suposed to bare their heads.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,220 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Attire for our trip to Russia

> All over the internet

Could you please amuse us with a link?

> in the bigger cities,, this is changing a lot, esp. with the younger generation, (which I am not!)

It has changed. Some 35 years ago...

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Attire for our trip to Russia

I don't know who writes this stuff you are seeing on the internet, but there is no dress code for every day use just wear whatever you normally would.