We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Russian River cruise

NSW
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Russian River cruise

Has anyone traveled with Goldenring Russia Cruises from St Peterburg to Moscow on the MS Tolstoi?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,541 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Russian River cruise

Forum search for "MS Tolstoy" says yes:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums?ff=705&geo=294459&q=MS+Tolstoy

Edited: 06 August 2012, 10:50
SUMMERFIELD, FL
Level Contributor
18 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Russian River cruise

We are booked on the MS Tolstoy for the Sept 5 departure. We booked with Travel All Russia, which represents Goldring cruises. . From what i have read they are reputable. They got our visas and what we feel is a great airfare. We are just waiting for our documents.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Russian River cruise

my friends and I are looking at Goldenring Cruises for 2013 Aug/Sep cruises. Would like to hear about yours when you get back.

Marshall, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Russian River cruise

We are eager to hear how you enjoyed your cruise on MS Tolstoy. We are considering this trip and there is such a variance in pricing we are really undecided. The cheaper lines describe rooms of 100 square feet, which I don't think my claustrophobia will tolerate. I don't know how much larger, if any, the more expensive ships are. The food is also a concern.

SUMMERFIELD, FL
Level Contributor
18 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Russian River cruise

We had a 2 room suite. The room size was more than adequate. We did get a chance to look at one of the smaller rooms.Based on the amount of time you spend in it, you should, in my opinion, have no problems with claustrophobia. Remember you only sleep in it. The difference in the cost is quite a bit. . .We ended up in a suite only because they reduced the price on the suite to the same as the smaller cabin which we had booked. The food while not great was okay. It reminded me of my mother's cooking. Tasteless!!!!! The service in the dinning room was excellent. The best meal was breakfast. Entertainment was good , nothing like the larger cruise ships. The sightseeing made the whole trip worthwhile.All the activities were well planned, and we were never bored. The hotel in Moscow was outstanding, the one in St. Petersburg was just okay. The staff of Travel All Russia was wonderful. My wife left my CPAP on the airport shuttle and they tracked down the driver and had it delivered that evening, All in all the trip was a wonderful experience.

Edited: 28 December 2012, 15:53
Marshall, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Russian River cruise

Thank you so much for this excellent advice. You have helped us a lot!

Zanesville, OH
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Russian River cruise

Did any of the cruises allow for a visit to Catherine's Palace and Peterhof?

We are very interested in taking a Russian River Cruise, but none that I have found offered an excursion to either of these wonderful places. Thanks for any info.

Boston...
Level Contributor
189 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Russian River cruise

My daughter and I went with Vantage with 4 days in St. Petersburg in a hotel (much better than having to come from the ship), 7 days on the river on the MS Tolstoy and 3 days in Moscow at a hotel. Vantage iincluded Catherine's in the price but you paid extra for Peterhof (well worth it!) We had a jr. suite which was worth it also. Since we usually live far apart and haven't traveled together before, it gave us more than enough room and some privacy. Also the jr. suite has a refrigerator which was great for bringing foods and alcohol bought on shore back to the ship (eg. cheese, crackers, fruit and vodka for a snack.) /whatever you decide - it is a wonderful experience.

SUMMERFIELD, FL
Level Contributor
18 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Russian River cruise

We booked with Travel All Russia and our trip included Catherine's Palace and Peterhof. We got to see the Amber Room at Catherine's Palace. Fantastic trip.

Zanesville, OH
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Russian River cruise

Thanks so much for your input. We've been to St. Petersburg before on a cruise ship and enjoyed both Catherine's Palace and Peterhof so much. Since we will be so close, we don't want to miss these two fantastic places even if we have to pay for the optional excusion, we just want to make sure that they are an "optional".

I've noted on a couple of web sites that the lower gardens of Peterhof are offered but not the inside of the Palace which we feel is a must. I'll look into what Vantage has to offer. Thanks again.