We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easy-to-get Schengen visas for Russians

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Topic
Easy-to-get Schengen visas for Russians

I know Finland is the easiest Schengen-country visa to get. What other countries are relatively favorable for granting Schengen visas to Russians? My friend lives in St. Petersburg and has visited the Schengen region before, through Finland.

Is Spain a good candidate? What else?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,398 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easy-to-get Schengen visas for Russians

I have never had any problem getting a Schengen visa. The requirements (list of supporting documents) are more or less the same for all countries, the fee too but some countries now only accept applications via "visa centers" that charge an additional fee. Spain usually grants a 180-day multi-entry visa even if you apply for the first time; Italy, Austria and Czech Republic will only give you a visa for the exact dates of your confirmed trip at first and a longer visa for your next application to them. I have heard that France and Greece would give you a visa for a year or even two at first try but I don't have recent personal experience with those.

Edited: 23 September 2012, 04:49
New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easy-to-get Schengen visas for Russians

For the inhabitants of the SPB area it doesn't get any easier that a Finnish visa - I think they issue 1 yr multi entry pretty much automatically. Why?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Easy-to-get Schengen visas for Russians

This year I received a one-year French Schengen visa, because before that I had a six-month Spanish. Inhabitants of St. Petersburg is very easy to get a Finnish visa.

Half a day should be spent on the collection of documents and preparation of the application.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
469 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easy-to-get Schengen visas for Russians

For the last several years, visas aren't a problem at all anymore. To those who do not look like criminals, immigrants or refugees they are granted almost automatically. Exceptions do exist (German visa for self-arranged travel is still hard to get, as far as I know), but, in general, Europe is widely available.

Though, no European visa process even comes close to US in speed & convenience.

Spanish visa is a lock to get. No problem with it.

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easy-to-get Schengen visas for Russians

Here is an interesting piece - Norway is jumping on the visa bandwagon, they also want a piece of the action

regjeringen.no/en/…

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,118 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easy-to-get Schengen visas for Russians

Vladchan, your article relates to people living in Murmansk area only. There is an interesting thing with visas - say, Finland gives people from St. Petersburg multy-entry visas as a rule, but not in Moscow or other places. Russians are segregated by their place of living by euro-buerocrates...

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easy-to-get Schengen visas for Russians

It's not just the bureaucrats, the Finns are interested in the cross border business so Russians in neighboring areas get tons of Finnish visas. Let us not forget the Finns got that magic visa free boat to SPB in return so one hand washes the other and everybody happy

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,118 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easy-to-get Schengen visas for Russians

Yeah, but here in Moscow we get jealous on Finnish visas to St. Pete's people! :) It's a one night on a train to Helsinki for me (or a day driving) - it would be sooo nice! Have to talk to Germans once a year, then...

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
48 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Easy-to-get Schengen visas for Russians

All this talk about how easy Schengen visas are overlooks the fact that the embassies do still weed out categories of people -- if you cannot supply a letter from your employer or if you are a young single woman, there is still a quite real possibility that you will not get a tourist visa (even from "easy" countries like Spain or Italy as part of an organized tour).

10. Re: Easy-to-get Schengen visas for Russians

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 August 2013, 18:06