We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moscow Layover Visa Invitation

Charlotte, North...
1 post
Save Topic
Moscow Layover Visa Invitation

What is the easiest way to obtain an invitation letter for a visa into Russia? I won't be staying at a hotel (my layover is 12 hours 8am - 8pm).

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,047 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moscow Layover Visa Invitation

In this case you need a transit visa which does not require an invite.

someone here reported they wouldn't issue a transit visa if the layover is less than X hours

2. Re: Moscow Layover Visa Invitation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 May 2013, 17:49
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
2,401 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Moscow Layover Visa Invitation

Yes, just get a transit visa. There is no minimum layover in your case!

Re. minimum layover: I believe that the confusion cames from the fact that a transit visa is not required if you remain in the transit zone of the airport in order to catch an onward, provided your connecting flight is within 24 hours of arrival.

Edited: 07 May 2013, 18:06
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,665 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moscow Layover Visa Invitation

If the Russian consulate in your country refuses to issue a transit visa to you for a less than 24 hours layover, here's what I would do:

1. Book refundable tickets giving you a layover between 24 and 72 hours.

2. Apply for and get a transit visa no questions asked.

3. Return your tickets.

Come to think of it, with the visa cost, it might make sense to have a longer layover, so that it doesn't feel like you paid $200 for a longish ride from the airport, a fleeting glimpse of Red Square and a longish ride back to the airport.

5. Re: Moscow Layover Visa Invitation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2014, 05:16