We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train st petersburg to moscow

connecticut
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Train st petersburg to moscow

Since rdz doesn't take usa credit cards what the odds tickets will be available 3 days before july 1 trip at train station for fast train?

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,401 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train st petersburg to moscow

1st July is Monday - morning departure might be tough, evening - most probably you'll get it. Try intourist.com - they promise to sell at RZD prices.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,582 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train st petersburg to moscow

> they promise to sell at RZD prices

And add 10-20% commission on top. Besides their booking engine doesn't seem to work.

Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train st petersburg to moscow

Hi, I did use intourist.com a week ago, and yes , it works, a bit confusing but at the end, I could purchase my train tickets, with the smallest comision found, comparing to other travel agencies.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,582 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train st petersburg to moscow

> yes , it works

Good news - I stand corrected.

Kingsport, Tennessee
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train st petersburg to moscow

I tried to use the web site: http://pass.rzd.ru/main-pass/public/en to explore trains from St Petersburg to Moscow (in May, 2014).

Apparently it only recognizes cyrillic script in the 'from' and 'to' windows. Is it even possible to use this (the official Russian rail site?) from a standard English keyboard?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,582 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train st petersburg to moscow

> Apparently it only recognizes cyrillic script in the 'from' and 'to' windows

No it doesn't but it does require some unorthodox transliteration instead of standard English names.

Try entering "ST-PETERBURG" for St.Petersburg and "MOSKVA" for Moscow

PS May 2014 is waaaay beyond the sale range (45 or 60 days depending on route).

Edited: 28 November 2013, 12:32
Kingsport, Tennessee
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train st petersburg to moscow

My Bad. I went back to the site and tinkered a bit trying different spellings & discovered drop down windows for the cities (in English). Ok, got past that.

I found offerings vary widely: $59 for a compartment; $150 for 'luxury'; and (whoa!) $560 for 'soft'. Whatever 'soft' is, it's out of my price range. I know the difference between second/first in western trains; can anyone say if it's substantially different between compartment/luxury?

Incidentally, a quick-check show flying the same route: $85

That said, is there anything to recommend train over flying?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,582 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train st petersburg to moscow

> can anyone say if it's substantially different between compartment/luxury?

A compartment is for four people, luxury compartment (СВ in Russian) is for two.

> is there anything to recommend train over flying?

Let me quote the FAQ for you:

"One advantage of, especially with regard to St. Petersburg, is that IF YOU CAN SLEEP on trains ( the clickety-clack of the wheels lulls you to sleep), you can leverage the 8-hour trip to save on a hotel room – and also precious daylight hours – by choosing one of many trains leaving between 11 p.m. and 1 a.m. and arriving the next day between 7 and 9 a.m"

Also, trains run from city center to city center saving you longish trips to/from the airports.

9. Re: Train st petersburg to moscow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2014, 05:16