We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charles XII, Napoleon, Hitler, and Me

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Charles XII, Napoleon, Hitler, and Me

Thank you everyone who provided input for our trip, which was supposed to start Monday. However, when I wrote in one of my recent posts that “life is what happens when you’ve made other plans,” perhaps I should have written that what happens when you’ve made other plans is death. Having just lost a close family member, we have to postpone. Fortunately, unlike the unsuccessful visitors to Russia referenced in the Subject line, we did get flight cancellation insurance and multi-year visas.

Some clean-up questions: Anyone have advice on whether/how one can get refunds for the following?

Rail tickets purchased through TrainsRussa.com (I have that question pending to them, but with 4 x 3 tickets it’s the biggest P issue, and they’re not open yet).

Mariinsky II opera tickets purchased through their website (La Traviata, 11 Aug., center of floor) (x4)

Alexandrinsky ballet tickets purchased through Kassir.ru (Swan Lake, 9 Aug. box 9 on first ring) (x4)

Hermitage tickets, 2-day vouchers (x4)

Go-to.ru taxi fare, SVO to Moscow

If the word is that the performance tickets are transferable but not refundable, I’m open to best offers, via PM.

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charles XII, Napoleon, Hitler, and Me

Hi TiltedFlipCurves, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss and subsequent predicament. Almost exactly the same thing happened to me last year, so I know something about the emotions involved all round.

I'm afraid I can't offer any advice about your specific refund issues. I had the same problem and ended up giving away theatre tickets to a friend's sister living in London (I had to call the theatres involved to arrange the transfer of ticket) and a concert ticket to a B&B host in Dresden; I tried giving away (not selling) the rest of my concert tickets for Paris and Berlin but couldn't find any takers (not even for the Berlin Phil!). Non-refundable train tickets in England and France went unused as well. I ended up out of pocket but it was just one of those things.

Perhaps go-to.ru will refund your credit card - it's worth asking (you probably already have). And hopefully the train tickets will be refundable to an extent, please let us know how you go with that. Hopefully someone else on the forums will be able to advise re the opera and ballet tickets.

Glad you have a multi-year visa; best wishes and hope to see you back on the forums planning your next trip when the time comes.

2. Re: Charles XII, Napoleon, Hitler, and Me

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2014, 06:19