We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

russia experience -intrepid tours

hillgrove
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
russia experience -intrepid tours

Has anybody done the 15 day train tour from St. Petersburg to Moscow with Intrepid tours. It is called Russia experience.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: russia experience -intrepid tours

My wife and I are also considering a Russia Experience tour package for the Trans-Siberian Railway. Have you been able to find many reviews about the Russia Experience agency? I've been looking, but having found much.

hillgrove
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: russia experience -intrepid tours

Hi john

No I have not found anything at all. Most of the Intrepid tour reviews (other trips) depend entirely on the guide. Good guide = good trip etc.

However one of the young ladies in my travel agents, did the 8 day Russian Highlights trip between St Petersburg and Moscow last year and said it was really good. She shared the train section with a Russian couple with no problems. The only negative thing she said was the luggage space on the train was severely limited and overeated.

We decided to go ahead and are doing the Russian Experience in April. Instead of flying straight from Sydney (Australia) to St Petersburg, we are going to have a stopover in Moscow.This saves us $400 plus we can keep a bag at Moscow airport for about $3 a day and thus bring lighter bags on the tour.

Intrepid have cut out the trip to Pushkin on this tour so we are going a couple of days early. Intrepid are still doing the transfer and we are staying in the same hotel.

Hope this helps

Rick

Edited: 10 December 2013, 20:26
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,448 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: russia experience -intrepid tours

> we can keep a bag at Moscow airport for about $3 a day

No you can't - it's closer to $10 a bag a day. And I have never heard anyone complaining about limited luggage space in Russian trains yet.

Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: russia experience -intrepid tours

Hi

I did not do the Russia Experience trip, but also did the Russia Highlight trip with extra time in Moscow. It was a fantastic experience and a wonderful intrepid trip. Marassa is wrong again. There is quite unlimited space on Russian trains for luggage. My case wouldn't fit under the bed and it was a first class cabin. Im sure you will have a fantastic time.

hillgrove
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: russia experience -intrepid tours

We have returned from our Russian Experience and had a fantastic time. I can can highly recommend this tour if you want to see more than Moscow and St Petersburg. We had 3 others on the tour, a couple from Sydney and a lady from Switzerland. We were in the same age group and this increased our enjoyment.

Intrepid tours were highly organised and everything ran perfectly despite snow storms, closed roads and other Russian vagaries. Our guide Boris (aka Bob) was brilliant company as well as being well-informed and organised.

The tour was was balanced with seeing attractions as well as lots of free time to see things on our own. Bob worked in extra items that added to our experience. The best was attending a light comedy play in Russian that was just a hoot.

The hotels were very good and quite central so walking to the sights was easy. Intrepid also included adventures outside each city so we saw some of the countryside and got to meet Russians not normally visited by tourists.

The train travel was an adventure in itself. We had extra requirements for entry and departure ( 4 am from Moscow) and Intrepid organisation was perfect.

I highly recommend this tour if you want to experience Russia rather than just visiting the two big cities.

6. Re: russia experience -intrepid tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2015, 05:15