We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trans-Mongolian train station/boarding and border crossings

Toronto
Level Contributor
15 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Trans-Mongolian train station/boarding and border crossings

Hello there,

My brother and I will be taking the Trans-Siberian railway from Moscow to Beijing in mid-October. I had 2 questions to ask:

1. We will be departing Moscow from Yaroslavskiy station. Will it be fairly easy to find our train and carriage at the station? I am concerned that since we are not fluent in Russian, we might find it difficult to get to our train and find our cabin.

2. What are the procedures at the Russia/Mongolia and Mongolia/China border crossings? Do we need to fill in any forms? How long will the train be at the border crossings?

Any help regarding the above 2 questions would be greatly appreciated.

London, United...
Level Contributor
407 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trans-Mongolian train station/boarding and border crossings

1. there are two other train stations near Yaroslavskaya, so may have some confusion. just make sure you have the train number and it will be easier to find.

2. border crossing with Mongolia, if you are going by train 362 the train will stay about 6 hours on the border. if you have goods to declare you will need to fill in the usual customs form. By the way there is a good not expensive cantine at the station. there is not much you can do on the border. it is a very small village on the Russian side. the train will also be held for some time in Mongolia. There you will be able to change the money.

3. border with china, here it is where the buggies are changed, so there will be some delay as well. you will need to fill in a simple form.

Korolev, Russia
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trans-Mongolian train station/boarding and border crossings

1. Your way to the train from the station.

www.imageshack.com/scaled/large/405/k3ah.png

3. Re: Trans-Mongolian train station/boarding and border crossings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2014, 06:20