We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trans Siberian Railways 2014

Monza, Italy
Level Contributor
821 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Trans Siberian Railways 2014

Hello everybody!

First of all I have to apologize about my poor English (I'm from Italy) but I hope you can understand what I'm trying to write.

I'm starting to think about a Moscow - Chita - Ulan Bator railway trip next year.

I'll be travelling solo (I have some experience after 8 years) and I do not speak a single word in Russian (but I can read cyrillic).

I'm on tight budget and my main interest is photography - I travel with some fairly expensive cameras and lenses.

So here are my questions - I'm afraid you already answered some hundred times!

1) when? I'd like to avoid July and August, so is it better late spring or early autumn?

2) what? which are the stops I cannot miss on the way from Moscow to Chita?

3) how? do I have to reserve all train tickets in advance or is it possible to buy them at the moment?

4) how (2)? second or third class? I'm thinking about 2nd for overnight legs and 3rd for shorter ones.

I think this is enough for the moment; thanks a lot for your answers!

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,448 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trans Siberian Railways 2014

1. If you're into photography then September might look more tempting due to the autumn colors.

2. No personal experience, sorry.

3. In September you have a better chance of getting tickets on the spot, but they might cost more than if you buy in advance.

4. 2nd class looks safer to me if you are carrying expensive equipment.

London, United...
Level Contributor
407 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trans Siberian Railways 2014

just a quick note, if you want to visit Chita you will need to go back to Ulan-Ude to be able to travel to Ulan-Bator

Irkutsk and lake Baikal - is a must for any trip along the Trans-Siberian railway.

Purchasing tickets on spot may be difficult, especially international tickets and when travelling in summer.

Edited: 17 September 2013, 17:53
3. Re: Trans Siberian Railways 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2014, 06:20