We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy winter wear in Russia?

Manila, Philippines
7 posts
Save Topic
Where to buy winter wear in Russia?

Hi, we're going to be landing in Sheremetyevo airport late January, and I was wondering if I could get away with buying all my winter gear (coat, boots, mittens, hat, scarf) in Russia.

We live in Manila, which is a tropical country, so I'm not confident about our winter stuff over here. Can anybody give any pointers as to where we could buy the clothes when we arrive? Also, around how much would it all cost?

Thanks in advance! :)

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy winter wear in Russia?

Hi kev-05,

I am not confident you should wait til you get to Moscow to buy the winter gear. You may get sick in the meantime. I googled, and here is a website with directory of outdoor gears. You have North Face and Columbia brands plus others which are adequate. Look there. Good luck.

pinoymountaineer.com/2009/09/mountaineering-…

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,062 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy winter wear in Russia?

> we're going to be landing in Sheremetyevo airport late January, and I was wondering if I could get away with buying all my winter gear (coat, boots, mittens, hat, scarf) in Russia.

My Thursday flight from London (delayed for an hour by a stupid fire drill in Heathrow) landed in Sheremetyevo to find no "socket" available for us, so we had to walk down the stairs to the tarmac and take a bus to the terminal, the temp was around -10 then, closer to -20 now and for the forthcoming week. Do you really want to try it in shorts and a t-shirt?

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,702 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to buy winter wear in Russia?

Lot's of folks from the Philippines go work abroad mostly to countries not blessed with warm climates. There has got to be somebody selling them clothes in Manila so they don't freeze on arrival.

As mentioned you don't want to take the chance - it could be seriously cold.

Manila, Philippines
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to buy winter wear in Russia?

Thanks amatrip and Marassa!

I figure I'll just thrown on some thermal underwear, wool socks, and use my old padded jacket. The salespeople at the North Face and Columbia shops here aren't sure their coats can withstand -20 temperatures, so I don't really know if I should spend that much money on something I'm not even sure will be enough to keep me warm.

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to buy winter wear in Russia?

Kev,

Sorry the sales people are not being helpful. My opinion: find a ski/snow jacket. it should be waterproof, windproof, insulated and breathable. A jacket with these features will likely be adequate for Moscow.

I am partial to North Face as I find their stuff warm but not bulky. Look for example this Vortex jacket for men:

thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/men-39-s-vo…

It's expensive, but it will last and comes with lifetime guarantee I believe.

Should not the local store be able to expedite the shipment to their store for you?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
518 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to buy winter wear in Russia?

Underwear, wool socks, and padded jacket should be enough for a quick run between building doors and transport, but definitely not good for city strolls if you plan any.

Making purchases in Manila will save you time and most probably money (since quality apparel tend to be expensive here).

To let us give you any hints please write where you plan to stay in Moscow.

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,702 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to buy winter wear in Russia?

Why don't you go on a board for PI migrant workers (and there are some in Russia too) and ask what they do abt warm clothes.

PS: I personally think buying brand name stuff which you are only going to use for a short while is a bit of a waste of $$

8. Re: Where to buy winter wear in Russia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2015, 06:19