We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Layover in St. Petersburg and Sochi

Tashkent, Uzbekistan
5 posts
Save Topic
Layover in St. Petersburg and Sochi

I got a really complicated 20-hour trip from Taskent(Uzbekistan) to Istanbul because I redeemed my mileage:

Flight 1: Aeroflot from Tashkent to Sochi

Flight 2: Aeroflot from Sochi to St. Petersburg

Flight 3: Ukraine Airway from St. Petersburg to Kiev

Flight 4: Ukraine Airway from Kiev to Istanbul

I researched and found out that, while I do not need a visa if I am staying inside an airport, there are no international transit area at St Petersburg and Sochi airports. Since I will be switching from international to domestic for flight #1 and the other way around for flight #2, would I need to get a transit visa or two transit visas? I am a Canadian, and I won't be checking in my luggage.

Thank you!

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
2,188 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Layover in St. Petersburg and Sochi

You need a visa. You can not take a domestic flight from Sochi to St Petersburg without a Russian visa. And Aeroflot will not allow you to board an aircraft in Tashkent without a visa.

Edited: 20 March 2014, 15:12
Tashkent, Uzbekistan
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Layover in St. Petersburg and Sochi

Yikes. Really hoping that the 72-hour visa-free policy doesn't fall through now.

Thanks.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
2,188 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Layover in St. Petersburg and Sochi

The 72-hour visa-free rule, when approved, will not be applicable in your case because of the Sochi-St Petersburg leg of your trip. The only option is to get a Russian visa

Tashkent, Uzbekistan
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Layover in St. Petersburg and Sochi

Alright... so now I am looking into pushing my flight #3 and #4 so I can spend some time in St Petersburg. (I originally planned on stopping by the city on the way back, but that's going to be difficult now)

So if I get a single-entry tourist visa, that should cover the first two flights and my stay in St Petersburg right? Since Sochi-St Petersburg is domestic, I am assuming that I won't go through the immigration in St Petersburg.

Thanks for helping me with this mess!

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,220 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Layover in St. Petersburg and Sochi

> if I get a single-entry tourist visa, that should cover the first two flights and my stay in St Petersburg right?

Visas don't "cover flights". A single-entry visa covers one entry into Russia, in your case you enter Russia in Sochi then exit it from St.Petersburg (to Kiev). You can take unlimited number of domestic flights within Russia in between - nobody cares. You don't pass immigration on domestic flights, only on intl flights (like St.Pete to Kiev).

Tashkent, Uzbekistan
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Layover in St. Petersburg and Sochi

How about a transit visa? Would it work in this case?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,220 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Layover in St. Petersburg and Sochi

> How about a transit visa? Would it work in this case?

Good question. It will work but you'd better ask the Russian consulate in Tashkent if they will issue a transit visa for your set of tickets including a domestic flight. Maybe they will, maybe they won't.

8. Re: Layover in St. Petersburg and Sochi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2015, 05:16