We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Serbia

Darwin
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in Serbia

Hello there

I would love to get some information and feedback on driving through Serbia. We will land in Belgrade and were thinking of hiring a car and driving to family in south-east. I have family there but haven't been back for far too long. We were then thinking of doing a self drive through to the coast and getting up to Slovenia.

Am I being unrealistic to drive, although coming from Australia we are used to long distances so are happy to do so and see the country.

We will possibly have about 2 weeks from family visit to Slovenia.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,384 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Driving in Serbia

Hi Katty

Well it's very dificult in 7-days, so much to see in each country, you really will not do them justice. Therefore it would be better to concentrate on one area then return to the other area another time. Maybe choose

between exploring the Adriatic coast of Croatia, OR the city of Belgrade and inland Serbian rather than both..

Best tips I can offer without more info.

Fly into Dubrovnik or Belgrade, I wouldn't go to Zagreb unless exploring Slovenia and that's another week.

Belgrade to Dubrovnik by car takes a full long day of driving across Bosnia - around 9 hours non stop.

Much to see en route via Sarajevo, likewise the route to south of Dubrovnik towards Montenegro. To rush the trip is a shame, you'll miss loads and crossing borders costs with car hire. To do the two areas you could link by air Belgrade- Dubrovnik, only use hire car in local country.

My recommendation: If you really want to see Belgrade and a taste of Serbia whilst having a coastal holiday it may be a good option to fly return Belgrade from London, linking a flight to Dubrovnik. Use Belgrade as a stopover for 24 - 48 hrs and have a 5-day holiday along the coast using a car from Dubrovnik.

Stoofer

P.S.

Dont underestimate the size, beauty or diversity of interesting attractions in this region, I don't know if you've been to north Adriatic coast of Croatia but that's lovely too. You could have a week north coast, a week south coast, another week for Bosnia into Serbia and then you've not touched the villages or

Montengro and will still have only touched the surface so choose wisely and limit your mileage on a short weks visit is best advice.

Banja Luka, Bosnia...
Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Driving in Serbia

I've been driving with my British driving licence (plastic card incorporating photo) in Bulgaria, Serbia and Romania since 2006 and in Bosnia and Croatia the past year. I've never experienced any problems at border crossings, with hiring cars or the few times I have been stopped by cops ;).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
435 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Driving in Serbia

We drive with USA d.licenses all the time throughout x-Yu and NO you do not need an International license they did away with that some years ago. Even plain logic tells you rental car companies would not allow you to rent a car if a International d.l was required. You can check on the site of any car rental company and they have all the requirements on their sites.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,384 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Driving in Serbia

Agreed BGNY yet posts 6, 7 & 8 still hold true. Locally some are still advising that you need an international

including traffic officers.

I think if challenged you must just hold your ground. Indeed hire companies should be insisting if that was the law, and they do not.

Such things are never simple in Belgrade! The answer is you do not need an international licence but you might be asked to show one ;-(

Stoofer

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
435 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Driving in Serbia

Yes Stoofer you are correct, you never know in BG-Serbia, I do not have the time right now to dig up the rules & reg. and I am sure AMSS does not say anything as they like to sell these international d.l.....but below is a article that appeared in one of many newspapers, any problems with the police should be reported to number 92, always ask police officer for his name, badge I.D or whatever to report later but I am sure they will not have a problem as trust me the car rentals places would def. request and international license if it were required. rtv.rs/sr_lat/drustvo/mup:-strancima-ne-treb…

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
88 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Driving in Serbia

Hi,

Reading these posts, I am reconsidering my plan to drive from Sofia to Belgrade. Is it safe? How much time would it take approximately? also we would like to visit few good towns on the way.

Also my trip would be to fly in Sofia, drive to Belgrade, attend the Exit festival in Novi Sad, then fly to Sarajevo before returning home.

Want to fit everything in about 10-12 days!

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,384 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Driving in Serbia

No real safety issues, Punit29, the comments here are about red tape, from India have an international licence and no worries.

The problem locally is confusion to agreements with EU countries and other European countries, even some agencies, government advice offices and officers don't seem to understand the law. What chance us? ;-)

Try this site for distances, routes and timings:

www.viamichelin.com

Stoofer

Edited: 14 May 2014, 18:34
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
88 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Driving in Serbia

Thanks stoofer!

19. Re: Driving in Serbia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Belgrade