We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe is it

London, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
1,123 reviews
Save Topic
How safe is it

I was thinking of going to Belgarde.However when I looked at the Foreign Office(UK) advice it mentioned the possibility of terrorist attacks.so can any one please tell me if any have happened in say the last 2 years and if there are terror alerts currently in place.By the way is it easy to get to Sarajevo by train and how long would it take.This being the centenary of WW1 it would be interesting to see where it all started.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,295 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: How safe is it

I think Foreign Office has to report such things but the only time to worry is if they say essential travel only or

avoid travel to x or y destination? As in all citiies avoid protest crowds if you ever see any, avoid marches and political rallies.

Terrorism alerts frighten my Serbian family visiting London too, as does media coverage. To many in Belgrade, London and UK seems to be a very unsafe place to visit.

I don't know of any terror related reason not to visit Serbia, maybe avoid Kosovo but I'm not up on the situation there. Certainly judging by reports from the counter terrorist unit in London as reported by the BBC it appears threats are ongoing in the UK, many arrests and concerns always in the news. I would therefore have thought UK a much higher risk but different threats wherever you go in the world today, no reason not to visit other European cities, I really don't think Belgrade any different except possibly safer.

Have a look at the search facility for Sarajevo, no train now so it's scheduled bus or minibus by tour companies, it takes about 7 hours transit by minibus, longer by scheduled coach. GEA Tours gets good reviews on this forum, I think a return ticket is about EUR50 and I think they organise door to door for you so maybe easiest option.

Stoofer

Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How safe is it

Balkans is safe. That UK foreign office thing is very hysterical in my view.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,054 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How safe is it

Belgrade is perfectly safe - or as safe as anywhere, and safer than most. I've been there twice this year, between trains.

London has been the subject of terrorist attacks too. So it's no good staying at home!

In fact, isn't 'risk of terrorist attack' now totally universal, so it's always listed by the FCO to cover themselves on absolutely every country now?

Edited: 31 December 2013, 14:01
London, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
1,123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How safe is it

thanks for the info

Ridgway, Colorado
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How safe is it

Can anyone provide an update on train or bus schedule into or out of Sarajevo? I'm looking to go from ,Zagreb to Sarajevo and then Sarajevo to Belgrade. I would prefer night trains when possible. Is this route safe for a woman travelling alone?

6. Re: How safe is it

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2014, 19:40
Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How safe is it

Wingate,

Belgrade is a very nice city, do not worry about, just stay in nice area in the town and evrything is going to be ok.

8. Re: How safe is it

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2014, 22:18
Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How safe is it

What Stoofer said. Also, I'd go back in a heartrbeat.

London, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
1,123 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How safe is it

whilst I appreciate your message it is incoherent and does not explain how I as a potential tourist would be at risk.