We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Ukraine safe to travel in 2018?

Esperance, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Is Ukraine safe to travel in 2018?

Hi,

I am wanting to visit the Ukraine this Dec/Jan. I have heard mixed reports about the safety of it these days. What cities are safe to go to in 2018? I am from Australia and our government travel website advises to exercise a very high degree of caution if travelling to the Ukraine, and it lists a few safety and security reasons. It recommends not travelling to Donetsk, Luhansk & Crimea all together. Our government travel website also mentions ';Exercise a high degree of caution in Ukraine due to the unpredictable security situation across the country. Tensions could escalate without warning, especially in the form of political protests in the Capital, Kyiv'

Not sure if there is still some cities I am able to visit? What are good cities to see in winter?Looking for some advise by locals or by other travellers that has recently travelled in 2017 and 2018.

Thank you

129 replies to this topic
Corringham, United...
Level Contributor
7,735 posts
127 reviews
1. Re: Is Ukraine safe to travel in 2018?

Don't know where all that comes from but the UK one has a lightly less dramatic effect.

The Donetsk,Luhansk areas yes are a no go.

Crimea is now under Russian governance and you can only enter via Russia with a Visa but still a popular place to visit.

However the rest of the country is safe,as safe as any major city.

Odessa,Kiev and Lviv are all popular places

Whenever I travel to visit my wife's family never felt unsafe and as mentioned will be aware as any place in the world!

Kyiv, Kyyivs'ka...
Level Contributor
2,083 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Is Ukraine safe to travel in 2018?

In terms of winter travel I would recommend you to visit Kiev and Lviv. From Lviv you can go to carpathians mountains for example Bukovel. All of these places are safe.

Don't go to Donetsk or Lugansk but you won't be able to since those areas are closed off anyway.

Kristianstad, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
1 review
3. Re: Is Ukraine safe to travel in 2018?

The Swedish travel advice also say that you should exercise a high degree of caution, just pure BS in my opinion, Kiev, Lviv, Odessa and Zhovkva felt as safe as any other major cities and major tourist destinations in central and eastern Europe, like Krakow and Prague.

The only dangerous parts of Ukraine is Donetsk and Lugansk and you can't go there anyway. Crimea is not dangerous but you cannot go there from Ukraine (as a foreigner), only from Russia.

In Odessa I was harassed by 2 angry gypsy beggar women cause I didn't want to give them any money, they started pulling me in the clothes, after I walked away they followed me for a few minutes and then they got bored. That's all, been through worse in Greece.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
208 reviews
4. Re: Is Ukraine safe to travel in 2018?

Just back from visiting Lviv and Kiev. I felt just as safe in Ukraine as in Berlin, Vienna, Bratislava or Budapest. In other words as safe as in my home town of Cambridge. I enjoyed my visit so much that I’m already planning on going back.

South East
Level Contributor
49 posts
301 reviews
5. Re: Is Ukraine safe to travel in 2018?

I've been to Kyiv twice recently and had no problems. It's as safe as any major city. There are the usual beggars in the streets asking for money but nothing threatening.

I exercised reasonable levels of alertness and it was fine. The people were very pleasant and welcoming and I never felt any sense of danger. I am sure there are political demonstrations sometimes but I didn't see any. If there are, just walk in the other direction and it should be fine.

Kyiv is the only place I've visited and it was lovely. There are some fascinating museums and beautiful cathedrals to visit and it's a fascinating place to wander around.

Rewari, India
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
31 reviews
6. Re: Is Ukraine safe to travel in 2018?

I feel unsafe When Yuliya doesn't reply to my pm. I think this is the biggest terrifying thing in my opinion.....For all other things Ukraine is very safe.😉

Vikas

7. Re: Is Ukraine safe to travel in 2018?

Odessa is safe and welcoming )

8. Re: Is Ukraine safe to travel in 2018?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline requiring that all messages be written in English. It is not possible for the forum staff to provide translations. Foreign language comments exclude many readers from obtaining what may be pertinent information, which defeats the purpose of an open forum.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2018, 10:48

Corringham, United...
Level Contributor
7,735 posts
127 reviews
9. Re: Is Ukraine safe to travel in 2018?

Daniella please note that as you are advertising all your posts so far have been deleted.

Esperance, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
10. Re: Is Ukraine safe to travel in 2018?

Thanks for your reply. I will avoid the cities you mentioned too. I have no idea where our government gets it information from, but we have a site where you can type in any country around the world and it talks about the security and safety of it, and has a scale of how safe like 'exercise a higher degree of caution' 'do not travel' or 'exercise a normal degree of caution'. I don't think we have many consulates in the Ukraine either to help if we ever did get into trouble over there, so that could also contribute to them classing it at that. The UK might have so,e consulates over there, I'm assuming it would since it's all Europe and closer. Do you recommend any good places for winter scenes?

Reply to: Is Ukraine safe to travel in 2018?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted