We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do Australians get a visa

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
253 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
How do Australians get a visa

How is the best way to get a visa for the Ukraine. We will be visiting the Ukraine by boat in June for maybe one week. Thankyou

sydney
Level Contributor
153 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do Australians get a visa

They have an embassy in Canberra and you can download the application form.

Odessa, Ukraine
Level Contributor
374 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How do Australians get a visa

Hello Bronte19,

You will probably taking cruise by Dnieper river. It will be better to ask your cruise company directly re visa regime. Normally cruise passengers do not visa but that's related to sea cruises. It will be interesting to find it out even for me.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do Australians get a visa

Hi Bronte! Welcome to Ukraine forum :)

Much to my regret (as I’d love to welcome some Aussie friends here in Ukraine), Australia is not on the list of visa-free countries to enter Ukraine. Also, Ukraine does not issue visas upon arrival.

So to enter Ukraine you will need to get a visa in advance (unless you are entering and leaving Ukraine on a cruise boat, as Anna mentioned).

What kind of boat is it, indeed?

And how are you arranging this trip of yours? If by a tour company, I’d expect them to provide visa support to you.

Otherwise (DIY trip) you will, indeed, have to address Ukraine embassy in Canberra as magnet1 suggested. Here’s their web-site (visa section) mfa.gov.ua/australia/…21440.htm

Anna,

I tend to believe that for river cruises, which are domestic, a cruiser will have to obtain a visa in advance, because s/he will cross the border of Ukraine PRIOR to taking a cruise (by land or air), not on the cruise boat.

Edited: 27 April 2011, 18:45
Odessa, Ukraine
Level Contributor
374 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How do Australians get a visa

Cora, in case of domestic cruise most likely you are right, but not all river cruises operated fully within Ukrainian territory. There are cruises with embarkation at Nessebar(Bulgaria) or Tulcea(Romania). Anyway not sure about visa requirements in this case. I will just contact my colleagues tomorrow to find it out.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do Australians get a visa

I’m travelling at the moment and don’t have access to my files, but as far as I remember there’s no difference in the law definition between sea and river cruises when (or rather IF) it comes to border crossing. Perhaps there are some instructions regulating this that I'm not aware of.

If I’m not mistaken, the law merely states that foreign citizens on a cruise are released from passport registration (btw, not visa-exempt per se in this definition).

Would love to hear what your colleagues have to say about this. Please, update!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
253 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do Australians get a visa

We are sailing on a freind's sailboat from Turkey to Romania, Bulgaria and then hopefully the Ukraine. Do you think that classes as a cruise or shall we still need a visa?

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How do Australians get a visa

Wow, what a fantastic plan! :)

Hope your friend is an experienced int’l sailor and knows how to cross the border and deal with the customs when sailing by own boat. (I don’t have a clue, so won’t be of much help, I’m afraid).

I’m not at all sure this kind of trip can be possibly classified as a cruise. I’d be inclined to determine a cruise as regular sailing on the specified routs.

So I assume, as an Australian citizen you are going to need a visa in this case.

I shall try to find this out with authorities when I’m back to Kyiv. But that will be in mid-May only (well, we are anyway in for a long series of public holidays).

When do you plan to make this trip, please? Any ideas which Ukrainian port are you planning to sail in?

Odessa, Ukraine
Level Contributor
374 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How do Australians get a visa

Sorry for delay .

Just contacted colleagues from Chervona Ruta - Australians do need visa to participate river cruise unlike sea cruises, when visa is not needed.

As for visiting by private yachts - again, Australian need to obtain Ukrainian visa.(Info from border control).

Edited: 05 May 2011, 15:05
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
253 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How do Australians get a visa

Thank you so much for all the trouble gone to on my behalf. I have sent my passport off to the Ukrainian embassy to obtain the visa. I think when we go to the Ukraine we will be going to Odessa, Sebastapol and the Crimean peninsular. It should be fascinating but sadly I don't think we will get to Kyev.

Odessa, Ukraine
Level Contributor
374 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How do Australians get a visa

You are welcome.

As for Kiev - you may ask your ship agent whether it is possible to sail by Dnieper river with your yacht type. Or take a flight from Odessa to Kiev for a day or two. As you will have visa it won't be a problem.