We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Applying for Ukrainian Visa in another European Country

Perth, Australia
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Applying for Ukrainian Visa in another European Country

Hey there,

Was wondering if someone can help; I'd love to visit Kiev on my upcoming trip to Europe. I'm leaving Australia (I'm an Australian citizen) on the 18th of May and returning on the 21st of June.

Because the Canberra embassy doesn't seem to be accepting visa applications at the moment, and because it's on the other side of the country and I haven't wanted to courier over my passport, I was hoping to apply for a Ukrainian visa during my stay in either Paris or London. A bit of reading suggests that you can have express processing within 5-7 days, and I'm quite happy to stay in either city while waiting for my visa/passport to be returned. I'm also traveling to Berlin and Budapest but haven't looked at processing times for these embassies.

Has anyone had any similar experience and could offer some advice on how realistic this would be?

Ivano-Frankivsk...
Level Contributor
77 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Applying for Ukrainian Visa in another European Country

From my experience, for London Embassy, a week is totally realistic.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Applying for Ukrainian Visa in another European Country

Hi Lauren B and welcome to Ukraine forum :)

Not quite similar to your case, but we had members of Australian nationality residing in London who applied for a visa there:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294473-i3662-k489…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g295368-i5302-k572…

If you wish, you could send them private messages and ask for their experience.

But why did you mention the embassy in Canberra is not accepting visa applications, please? Their web-site only says no express visa issuance (that you obviously require). But other than that, starting from today May holidays are over, and they should be back to regular work.

Or do you have any information about it? Thanks!

Perth, Australia
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Applying for Ukrainian Visa in another European Country

Thanks Cora_v and Usmikhnys for your replies, very helpful.

Firstly; I've gone back and checked and you're completely correct Cora_v, it's just express that had been suspended. I must have misread, my apologies.

Either way, I ended up calling the embassy in Budapest and they were incredibly helpful! They said that express processing would take 3 days and confirmed that Australian citizens were fine to apply for a visa there. Hopefully it is as easy as it sounds. Now to confirm accommodation!

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Applying for Ukrainian Visa in another European Country

Excellent news, Lauren :) Thank you so much for coming back to update!

This was really very useful, as I occasionally get similar requests by PMs, so would feel better now referring to this post of yours.

If it’s no big trouble, it would be just wonderful if you could please come back after your trip and share how the visa process went. Many thanks in advance.

Have a fabulous trip to Europe!

Perth, Australia
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Applying for Ukrainian Visa in another European Country

Certainly will Cora!

I was concerned about the difficulties of applying in another embassy and whether it may take much longer, but the Budapest embassy seemed really matter of fact about it, which has helped allay my concerns. For the record, the lady I spoke to reiterated that I need to bring proof of travel insurance, proof of travel arrangements entering and leaving the Ukraine and proof of accommodation, but as I understand these are all standard requirements anyway. Also, applications are only accepted between 9am and 12am on every weekday except Thursday.

I will definitely report back as to whether in practice getting the visa is as easy as it sounds, to help out any travelers in the same situation.

Perth, Australia
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Applying for Ukrainian Visa in another European Country

Right! Updates! I'm the proud owner of a Ukrainian tourist visa!

The whole thing was pretty straightforward: I arrived in Budapest on Thursday, the day I was told the embassy wouldn't process visas, so I arrived on Friday morning.

I handed in all my documents, which consisted of:

- my travel insurance certificate

- my train ticket to Kiev

- my passport

- two passport photos

- a printout of my confirmation of accommodation

I filled out the application form, they had a quick look, and was given a deposit slip to go and pay the express processing fee at MKB bank. It was 44,800 HUF (about $200 AUD). I was told if I paid it that day, my visa would be ready on Monday, which was a nice surprise as I was expecting it to be ready Tues/Wed. It's worth noting that MKB banks close at about 3pm on a Friday (except MOM Park which closes at 5pm), so if anyone is doing something similar, get that slip paid early!

The lady who processes the visas speaks good english and was really helpful, even giving me directions to the bank. I picked my visa up this morning and learned how to spell my name in cyrillic.

All in all, it was easy to have done: easier and less stressful, I think, than the Australian alternative, which for me would have involved having my passport sent across the country to Canberra and a longer turnaround time. This way I got to keep my passport with me.

Not sure if this is the same for every country's tourist visa, but mine is only valid for the dates that I listed on the application form - for a week, even though tourist visas can be valid for longer. Might be worth considering if your plans aren't 100% set that you may want to give yourself some extra time before your visa expires, just to be safe.

I also made the mistake of listing my entry date into the Ukraine on the date that I arrive in Kiev, rather than the day before when I leave Budapest on the train from Keleti. I think I'll be fine, as it seems we cross the border just after midnight, but it was a silly mistake not to list entry a day earlier as now I'm a tad worried about problems at the border.

Now just for the 25-hour train ride later this week and I'll finally make it to Kiev! Can't wait!

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Applying for Ukrainian Visa in another European Country

Hello Lauren! :)

How great to see you back to the forum - especially with such terrific news! Congrats on getting your visa :)

And thanks heaps for leaving such a detailed feedback! It will be most helpful to many other travellers, I assure you. Even right now we have another member in the similar situation (sadly in a different country though).

So many thanks to you once again, and have a wonderful journey! :)

8. Re: Applying for Ukrainian Visa in another European Country

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2014, 07:18