We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two weeks in Ukraine

Vilnius, Vilniaus...
2 posts
Save Topic
Two weeks in Ukraine

Hellou, we are two girls from Lithuania exploring Ukraine :))

We have two weeks in Ukraine. For now we started to plan our days. Route looks like that: Kiev ->Lviv -> Rakhiv (or other place to see Carpathian region) -> Odessa ->Crimea (Yalta).

We would appreciate your advice on our route. Do you think its worth going to Lviv, or its better to save more time for Carpathian region or Crimea?

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two weeks in Ukraine

Hello Ruta and welcome to Ukraine forum :)

For two weeks only your itinerary looks unreasonably ambitious to me: three largest touristy destinations plus two vast areas (Crimea and Carpathians). You will be way too rushed, especially considering Ukraine large distances.

You don't mention which season you are looking into travelling, and don't tell what your interests are. Knowing these could help us suggesting what you should better give up. Please, elaborate.

Ivano-Frankivsk...
Level Contributor
77 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two weeks in Ukraine

Hi Ruta,

I think if you're going to fly between your planned destinations in Ukraine, it is feasible.

Olga

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two weeks in Ukraine

…just keep in mind that the majority of domestic flights in Ukraine connect via Kyiv, so you won’t be able to fly directly from one point to another in most cases.

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two weeks in Ukraine

I agree that technically it could be done in two weeks... But I also agree with Cora that it seems too rushed. You really won't get to see much of anywhere - except airports and the scenery beside highways and railway tracks. Apart from having to travel via Kyiv for many flights, travelling (by plane, bus or train) between places takes up a lot more time than you might expect.

We recently had two weeks in Ukraine and crammed Odessa, Yalta, Sevastopol, Kyiv and Lviv into our trip - and didn't feel like we had enough time in any of these places (let alone the Carpathians as well!).

Would you be willing to drop a destination or two? (Hard to suggest which one because we liked them all!)

:)

Vilnius, Vilniaus...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Two weeks in Ukraine

Ou, yeah, I had a feeling that this plan is too ambitious. We'r coming in 23 of August to Kiev. in Ukraine our plan is to travel with trains or hitchhike, more trains (taking as many night trains as possible, saving time in this way). I know that we have to buy tickets before :))

Coming back to question, what we would like to see.. Mmmmm.. You know, in such a short time I would like to see and experience as much as possible. Carpathians and Crimea maybe is main places (mountains and seaside). We're not very interested in museums. But first days we will dedicate to Kiev. :) If you, guys, could recommend best places it would be grate. Yesterday were studying lonely planet and its to hard to choose :)

Kyiv
Level Contributor
303 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two weeks in Ukraine

Hi Ruta,

Even though mountains is your main attraction, I'd suggest to skip Carpathians. I do love this area, especially in summer, but your plan seems a bit unreal to me.

First of all Carpathians are large, and to get there for a day or two sounds a bit illogical, plus longer travel time and not so many options to get from the Carpathians to Odesa...

If you do want to visit Carpathians, I think you should choose Ivano-Frankivsk region: Vorokhta, Kosiv, Kosmach for example. All these destinations can be reached from Ivano-Frankivsk in 2 or 3 hours, plus 2 hours from Lviv to Ivano-Frankivsk. (I'm not sure in timing, please correct me if I'm wrong) then get to Kolomyia and take the train 136 Chernivtsi-Odesa.

The thing is that all trains from westernmost regions of Ukraine to Odesa pass via Lviv.

P.S. There are mountains in Crimea also. Not so high and not so attractive, but still...

Edited: 30 July 2013, 14:28
7. Re: Two weeks in Ukraine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2014, 07:23