We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency

UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Currency

Hi

I am from UK

I am having difficulty purchasing Ukraine Hryvnia on line ..any ideas?

or should I bring Euro or Russian Roubles?

Thank you

Alan

Odessa, Ukraine
Level Contributor
374 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency

Hi James,

If you look at right side of this site, you may notice under bold header TOP QUESTION ABOUT UKRAINE FAQ Money Matters.

If to be short - you do not need to buy local currency in advance.

Edited: 08 August 2013, 11:52
Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency

Hi again Alan :)

As been discussed great many times here in the forum before, do NOT bother getting Ukraine currency outside Ukraine. Apart from it being too much of a hassle, you will most probably lose on non-favourable exchange rate.

It's not a problem to withdraw cash hrybnia from the ATM, to pay with a card and/or exchange FX in Ukraine, IF you bear in mind useful tips and warnings shared here before - please, study the link suggested by CrimeaConsulting above.

I believe you would also find this trip report from a fellow UK-traveller helpful as it has some tips regarding pound exchange in Kyiv tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294474-i3663-k665…

Chester
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency

I visit Ukraine from the Uk, and never bother bringing ukrainian cash. If you visit major cities, like Kiev, its never a problem to find bank (look for pound sign on currency exchange boards, or just ask inside, they can only post 3-4 rates outside but usually can change pounds), or, even easier, pay everywhere by debit or credit card- all shops have to accept them, bar markets and other @kiosks@. I usually get something like 4000 UAH at a cash machine as well, uk bank usually adds a charge of 5 quid or so. HTH

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency

>>> I usually get something like 4000 UAH at a cash machine as well

Get ready that many ATMs in Kyiv have limits set for less amounts per one transaction. In average, from UAH 1,500 to 3,500, depending on a bank.

UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency

Thank you all for reply they are all appreciated and helpful

Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency

It's easy to change pounds for hryvnas in major cities but it's harder in small towns.

I find that the best exchange rates are in Western Ukraine. Don't change your money at railway stations or airports as you will get a poor rate, also don't change your money at the first place you see, exchange rates can vary widely, even in the same city.

Edited: 12 August 2013, 21:15
UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Currency

Thank you very much I will be in Kiev and Odessa so both should be ok. I will shop around.

Regards Alan

8. Re: Currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2014, 05:16