We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa Processing Time in Canberra

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Visa Processing Time in Canberra

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has recently applied for a Tourist Visa from the Ukranian Embassy in Canberra, Australia? And if so, how long it took to receive their passport back?

The reason I ask is this, a friend and I were planning a trip to Ukraine after visiting Turkey for ANZAC day, all the trouble started brewing, but we decided to apply for our Visa anyway so we still had the option to travel to Ukraine if we felt it was safe enough at the time. We paid the double fee ($220) for express processing which is meant to be 7 days, this was 10 days ago and we have not heard anything yet. We are flying out of Australia on April 1, so we left ourselves a good 6 weeks from the date we sent them off to when we fly out, however there are some sad events occurring and I fear it may slow the process down even more.

Just wondering if we should expect them back soon, or if it is best to simply send a letter asking for "Urgent Passport Withdrawal" although I'm not sure how long it would take them to action that either. I may end up flying to Canberra to go and pick it up myself. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards, Dave.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa Processing Time in Canberra

"10 days ago" crosses 2 weekends. I would say it has only just been 7 working days. If you provided the prepaid return express post platinum you can track it (if they've sent it back) if you kept the details.

Hopefully you paid correctly and also provided your name as the payment reference. In any case, 1 April is far away and not urgent. If nothing by end of next week then I would follow up.

Edit: 7 days excludes postage time - in both directions. Hopefully you used and provided Express Post Platinums. 7 days is actual visa processing time only.

Edited: 06 March 2014, 01:58
Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa Processing Time in Canberra

Thanks for the reply.

The Ukrainian Embassy website for the Embassy in Canberra, australia.mfa.gov.au, states under processing times "Calendar Days", which I interpret to mean all days including weekends, if they meant working days, I assume they would have used "Business Days" or perhaps this is simply a translation mistake on their part, either way, "Calendar Days" is not "Business Days".

Yes I provided a return prepaid envelope. I used express, as Australia Post do not offer the Platinum Express product any more (I used that one for my UK Working Visa, so I am aware of the difference) and yes I was clever enough to retain the tracking code for both directions and registered them to my email address to get live updates. The one I sent was received in their PO Box at 6AM the next morning after I sent it.

And finally, yes, I paid correctly. Correct amount, correct account details and correct reference details as advised on their website.

I don't mean to be rude, but I was wondering if anyone could comment on their recent experience with processing times, not ask me if I know how to use the Australia Post mail system of NetBank.

Cheers.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
121 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa Processing Time in Canberra

Hi AussieDave.

Unfortunately, I haven't applied for my visa yet, so can't offer any help.

Just wondering if you received it yet? Since it's now 21st March?

We too are going to Ukraine in July and will probably apply for our visa in early May.

A friend of ours who is a travel agent told us that last year, she had an experience where the visa had been completed but just sat on the desk in the Canberra office for 3 weeks.

Clare

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa Processing Time in Canberra

Dear Clare,

Keep in mind that we have lots of public holidays in the first decade of May, and the consular section of the embassy will be closed:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294473-c131488/Ukrai…

This needs to be double-checked, but with this year calendar I'd expect them to be closed on May 1-4 and then May 9-11.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa Processing Time in Canberra

Hey there guys! Great posts by all.

I am an Australian wishing to go to the Ukraine. I saw that no invitation letter is needed which is great!

I just wanted to ask is there any similarities to the Russian visa in the following ways. For example...

Proof of accommodation, hotel booking- Would the embassy only grant the visa the dates I have the hotel booking or would they give out 90 days from the estimated arrival date?

Processing time. I saw on the Ukrainian website that it can take up to 30 days with normal fees (not express) of processing. I saw in previous posts that people of theirs within a 7-8 days of paying extra money for processing. Any experience on the days it took with normal processing payment?

Would be appreciated thanks. :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
121 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa Processing Time in Canberra

Hi Moses6y. Sorry I have not replied earlier. I have not been ignoring you. We are still awaiting our Ukrainian visas. We sent them through our travel agent and paid for express visas. It has been 8 to 9 working days so far, including transit time, so I'm expecting them any day now. I will let you know, once I have more information.

Clare

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa Processing Time in Canberra

thank you so much :) I am glad someone is here to help !!! Kind Regards, Moses

8. Re: Visa Processing Time in Canberra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 05:16