We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling and getting medicines, pharmacies

Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Traveling and getting medicines, pharmacies

I slowly getting a list of what I might need. Anything can happen when I am abroad. I found a list of pharmacies online. I do not know how to read Ukraine and I think, think? when at a pharmacy, I type in a item to google translate eng to uk, the medicine will be sold in Ukraine.

http://en.shram.kiev.ua/health/apteki.shtml

example is when I was in south west asia, this villager had to walk 12 miles for aspirin. Imagine that , just aspirin. I gave the doc a bottle of Ibprofin I picked up before. Said here hand these out too. I was thanked by the chaplin. I have got to dot the i's, cross the t's. Be prepared when traveling, do not know anyone in that country. What alerted me is what happened in France to 2 brits. A muslim stabbed 2 brits in an alley way. Tell me where will they need medical attention? Be on the look out for the worst. Anything can happen now a days. I read some medicines in the US are not allowed in Ukraine, Europe. What do I then?

22 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,677 posts
146 reviews
1. Re: Traveling and getting medicines, pharmacies

What on earth are you on about? That was a whole lot of rubbish.

Pharmacies are all over the place. Look for green crosses and signs saying "АПТЕКА" ("apteka", like "apothecary") . You'll find anything you need there.

Edited: 12 September 2018, 08:49
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Traveling and getting medicines, pharmacies

I never been to Ukriane, don't know what your taking about.

Schindellegi...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Kiev
Level Contributor
4,706 posts
26 reviews
3. Re: Traveling and getting medicines, pharmacies

Then simply ask - no need for bringing in 3th world experiences on basic products such as aspirin (that by the way is a trademark for around 80 countries, not a product) or ibuprofen

Your profile shows no information on where you are from - but with the exception of the part of Ukrainian territory occupied by russian backed and russian forces (Donetsk and Luhansk, Krim) most places including Kyiv are probably safer than comparable places in your own country. See also your country travel advices for Ukraine - for instance https:/…health - https:/…Ukraine.html (kind of excessively critical imho) - https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/ukraine

There are plenty of pharmacies in Ukraine, many with extended service times. Most medication is easily accessible - several products that need a prescription in many western european countries are available over the counter, at most of time much lower prices.

In case you need prescription pharmaceutics - take what you need for your vacation, in original packing (as far as possible) with a copy of your prescriptions (typed, not handwritten). In case you need more check with a pharmacy. Not all pharmacies in Ukraine have staff speaking english - but staff can read prescriptions if necessary and get you most probably the products (sold maybe under some other name).

Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
10 posts
71 reviews
4. Re: Traveling and getting medicines, pharmacies

pharmacies are all over in ukraine. in big cities some work 24/7. all basic drugs are available over the counter. a short visit to a hospital would get you any prescription you want.

Calgary
Level Contributor
746 posts
160 reviews
5. Re: Traveling and getting medicines, pharmacies

I think the OP should use Google streetview for a bit to look at Kyiv. They might be surprised. Ukraine is not sod houses or huts with thatched roofs! :) For first aid, I can take everything I need when I travel in a pack about the size of a deck of cards. Some Anaprox, aspirin, a couple bandaids, some second skin and Immodium. Done that for all my decades of travel, including places that no one goes - Like Papua New Guinea.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
805 posts
6. Re: Traveling and getting medicines, pharmacies

This is just getting more and more entertaining!

Eddie, you can bring your meds with you. In case of regulated drugs, bring your prescription along and will be fine.

Calgary
Level Contributor
746 posts
160 reviews
7. Re: Traveling and getting medicines, pharmacies

Be aware that most countries restrict narcotics and opioids (and marijuana/cannabinoids!) even with a prescription.

Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Traveling and getting medicines, pharmacies

ok

Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Traveling and getting medicines, pharmacies

learn something new every day. I did not google enough before asking here. I found 24 hr pharmacies, now have to cross reference with map I had printed out at Staples. my hotel to closest pharmacy. Never a problem asking.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
805 posts
10. Re: Traveling and getting medicines, pharmacies

Fantastic, Eddie!

Keep up the good work and keep us posted about your new discoveries.

Reply to: Traveling and getting medicines, pharmacies
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted